Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

rlec16
Casual Contributor

When sleep is my escape

I can't cope with my family commitments, I have 4 children, I feel like I have made a life I can't live. It's overwhelming and the stress makes me think feel and think suicidal thoughts most of the day, sleep is my escape. I can't rest until night when I take my meds and I wanna fall fast asleep. I dream so real that it's another world. I wake up and do this shit all over again. Im so over being alive and the fights in my head, fighting drinking alcohol, fighting to not play into Covid-19, fighting the voices that want to hurt me in my head. I just want to sleep and not wake up here ever again.  Is this just a dream? Some days, most days I don't feel real. 
can anyone understand me? 
I am on meds. I thought they would help me more. They don't help much. 

20 REPLIES 20

Re: When sleep is my escape

Dear @rlec16 ,

I do understand. I've felt that way many times. Having 4 children in itself is a huge challenge, let alone battling your own mental health needs.

Do you have supports around you? Any form or support to provide respite? 

I've lived with MH issues for many many years. So many times, I wanted to sleep life away because I couldn't cope. However, I couldn't cope with myself. And you can get away from self. Admission into Prevention and Recovery Centres (PARCs) made a huge difference for me because I could concentrate on self-care and just be away from all the din of the world.

Being strengthened mentally in PARCs, I was then able to cope better 'out there'.

My main point is, self-care must come first. What can you do as part of your self care? Remember, it's okay to reach out. It's okay to say you need support. It's not a sign of weakness. Children come with a bundle of everything else people don't plan for.

Take care and well done on reaching out here. It's a good start. 

To re-iterate, you are not alone.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @rlec16 ,

Thanks heaps for sharing. Hope you are doing alright - just popping in the thread to say you can give your preferred crisis support service a call (such as Lifeline or SCBS) if you are still struggling with suicidal thoughts today - it's essential you are able to stay safe after all - you could give one of your preferred loved ones a try as well if you are struggling, or other professional in your support team.

Here with you and supporting you always,

Otter

My heart goes out to you @rlec16  . I spent years where all I could do was get the kids off to school, go back to bed and stay there until 2pm when I would get things ready for them to arrive home.

I had a great hubby, earning great money but he was NEVER home and I just crumbled. My biggest achievement was when I started staying up all day!!

This season will pass and they will be less reliant on you then one day you'll be waving them off at the International airport wondering where the time went. Until then you need support from wherever you can get it...do you have a mother, sister, friend??

Also, welcome to the forums.

Hi @Eve7 ,

I think that above post was for @rlec16 ?

Yep thanks @BPDSurvivor I've edited it.

I hear  you @rlec16 and I understand

There is no need to feel guilty about your reaction about having children - four is a lot now  days and I honestly did not like my role as a stay-at-home-mother either. You are not alone

I woke up one morning when my children were still pre-schoolers and really hated that I spent my whole day every day making a life for 3 other people and my life was going nowhere. I had to wait until my little one started kinder before I went back to school - and I eventually graduated from university with honours

I did have depression, anxiety, PTSD and grief issues during those years. I really was a better mother to my children because I had outside interests - as I was studying part time I went to work too - my then-h wasn't a good provider which helped nothing. I honestly believed it saved me - just having interests of my own outside the house

So - I do hear that you have all sorts of difficult thoughts and maybe going back to school isn't for you but I do suggest you find something away from home to give you a different life. I know this isn't easy. You don't say how old your children are but I notice that your husband isn't around much and I know that is a really soul-destroying atmosphere

It's so lonely for you - the way things are now. It's hard to change things too - but worth it. I am really glad you have reached out to us and I am sure you can find contacts here and ideas that will help. Just sharing can be so life-giving

Dec

Thank you so much for sharing @Owlunar . It was very insightful that only a parent could write.

BPDSurvivor

Thanks @BPDSurvivor 

We can only really help each other when we are honest  - as much as I loved my children I found no joy in spending my days keeping house. My ex was a silent and morose man  - with the wisdom gained through a long life I realise I didn't know him. It was a sad marriage.

It takes courage to take charge of our circumstances. I know it saved me. 

Parenting is really tough and the only training we have is from our own parents -mm- may or may not be helpful 

Dec 

Hello @rlec16 

I'm glad you joined this forum.  I joined recently too and already it has been such a supportive experience.  I hope you experience the same warm welcome, non judgemental support, and find comfort and reassurance from others. 

I can't say that I know what your life is like for you, because I'm not living it.  But I do understand the extreme isolation of being an at home mum with children, and battling inner thoughts that drive me to despair.  No matter how supportive your partner may be, spending long hours (and those daytime hours sometimes feel sooo long when you are already exhausted and have nothing left to give) at home with kids is really really hard.  

I had post natal depression after my 2nd child was born.  My 2 sons are 27 months apart.  I tried to seek help, I saw a counsellor who told me to put my kids in long day child care (I didn't want to do that plus I couldn't afford it!), and a GP who said that because I had so much insight into my depression she thought I was recovered (I wasn't, that black pit of despair was unfathomable), and after months of telling him about how much I was struggling, my husband finally understood I needed help.  We made some major changes to our lives with his work and our budget to allow him to be home more often.  It used to feel like I held my breath during the day until my husband walked through the door at night, when I could finally relax.  He didn't see how I felt and functioned during the day, when I felt like I was unsafe to be with my children.  I used to become scared that I would harm them somehow, not that I wanted to.  My mind was full of fears, anxieties, it was so difficult to escape from myself.  Just having him in the home helped me feel safe again.  

I don't know your situation @rlec16 .  Do you have anyone you trust who knows how you are feeling, what a struggle it is for you?  Do you have a GP/clinician who is caring for you - have you asked to have your meds reviewed?  From personal experience, medication is one part of recovery, but on it's own isn't enough.  We need genuine connection with others, where we can be ourselves and feel supported and not judged.  And we need to nurture ourselved, like others here have said, to find a way that we get some 'me time' to replenish ourselves.  Everyone is different on what that means.  For some it is time away from parenting, for others it is having others with us to provide company while we parent.  I have been so fortunate to have several women who have co-parented with me while our husbands worked - sharing the load of keeping little ones occupied and harmonious, while cooking, drinking tea, talking, sharing the emotional load.  Finding those friends took time and effort - I had to get to play groups to find other parents who became friends over time.  But it was so worth it.  We have spent 12 years helping each other to raise our babies.  They are among my dearest friends.

Along with medication and connection, sometimes we need ongoing therapuetic support to help us get through what we are experiencing, and to learn some new ways of coping.  Again, this is unique for everyone, finding the right fit of a mental health professional can take a few attempts.  Sometimes our fears get in the way, or our pre conceived ideas of what it will be like.  

My mum had major mental illness during my childhood (she raised 4 of us mostly on her own, my alcoholic father didn't know how to parent, and he spent most of our $$ so she had to be very resourceful).  I remember her spending days locked in her bedroom, crying.  I remember her exhaustion and trying to survive, feed 4 children, clothe us all, keep a garden to grow food, keep poultry to eat.  It was a continous struggle for her.  In my mid teens she finally started taking some medication that seemed to help more.  She slept a lot though, I became her carer when I was 13 until I left home at 19.  She's very well these days, has been mostly for the past 25 years.  Recovery is possible.  Things getting better is possible.  Sometimes we have to ask for help, have to accept that it is too much for us to do on our own, and that there's no shame in saying that you need help.  Getting help can take a while, it can be a process.  What is helpful is unique for every one of us.  I hope you will stay in touch with us here, and let us know how you are getting on.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance