Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday - now open: Stepping off the distress seesaw

How it works is ...

when one is in a start of extreme emotional arousal, information processing suffers dramatically.  In order to recover this crucial function, the nervous system essentially needs to be re-set or rebooted.

Marsha Linehan, Ph.D, have have posited that the activiation of the mammalian diving reflex is an effective method of rebooting. The reflex can be voluntarily activated by submerging one's head in a bowl of icy water (or the ice eye mask is an option) or splashing one's face with the icy water ... not frozen water.

Check out page 135 of "101 Trauma Informed Interventions" by Linda A Curran [endorsed by Bessel van der Kolk] for extended explanation.

I'm really enjoying these analogies.... In a way I feel I can relate to Loppy's analogy of the roundabout. I thought there would be recovery and that is that. However, I'm learning to accept.. and even embrace the roundabout a bit. It's so tiring, but each time I go through it, I remember.. I've been here before and I can get through it again.

Is it kind of like shocking the system to reboot it?

Can anyone relate to feeling a need to do this - a need to rejig your system?

I think strategies to ground people in certain situations are very effective when you are thinking clearly or have the presence of mind to even rememeber there is a strategy. With Scizoaffective, often there is no memory of learnt strategy to rely upon.

With the sea saw scenorio I envisage a large sack at the low end of the sea saw. Over time I take issues out of the sck to deal with. Some a not resolved and then continue to add to the weight of the sack. Some are resolved and make the sack lighter. Unfortunately with CSA the sack gets renewed each day and maintains its weight..

Its tough to get on top of that.

Absolutely @karma .   The brain's response to trauma is complex and has long-lasting impact in many cases. 

That's why it's so important to acknowledge the difficulty many people have and the reality that the person is responding in the way that their body has stored information.

SunnyDaisy, I would like to thankyou, from my heart for taking the time to listen to an old fool like me, you are one more person that has taken the time to do so. Once again thank you.

The looped oneSmiley Embarassed

Not pleasant, I'm sure.  But good to be aware of it.

I don't wish to contribute 

I don't feel well

I'll observe.

Ta 

Rick

Hey @kenny66 , it is tough. 

That sense of being stuck at the top of the see-saw or on the merry-go-round may be familiar to many.

What are some of the roadblocks that people find?

And how do you find space?

definitely-ECT helps me with this
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance