Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Can I ask a silly question @snoopy and @NikNik

I sometimes think that I make excuses to not get better so I can still have my support.  It sounds selfish and stupid? 

And maybe that's why I stop my meds every now and then - just to see how I will react without them.  I don't know; it's just a thought.

Hello @Heartworks, my husband totally agrees with you

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Medication Side Effects

First week

-intense headaches
-drowsiness
-mild nausea

The doctor suggested I start taking my medication at night instead of the morning to decrease drowsiness during the day; which helped.

These symptoms subsided after a few weeks of treatment.

During the last year

Inability to cry and show emotion through my face (it is a really werid feeling).
Numbness of current emotion, feeling flat.

Whenever I missed a dose, I would have fear induced nightmares that same night and usually the next.
Dreams would subside after 1 day taking medication again.

Instability of emotions after missing a dose.

After decreasing dosage by half

Headaches
Feeling heavy in my head, similar to sinus symptoms on the face.
I CRIED!!!!!!!! This was massive for me, it was very releasing and therapeutic for me to cry since I was unable to before hand.
My emtotions have been more up and down, however I really do feel like I am feeling them more.
Alertness, I feel like I have less brain fog.

Re: Topic Tuesday // NOW IN SESSION // Medication

Hi @Former-Member. I would strongly encourage you to tell any doctor that is prescribing you medication about any other medications you are taking. This even includes over the counter medications. Quite often a pharmacist may ask if you are taking another medication. They are asking for your well being, so I would suggest being open.

Depending on the type of medication you take will depend on whether you can give blood. The Blood Bank will be able to give you further information about this.

If you are travelling abroad with your medications, it is wise to travel with a doctors letter stipulating what medications you take, dose and reason for taking the medication. 

If you have run out of medication and you can go to your regular chemist they may provide you with 2 or 3 pills until you can get your script.  Alternatively you can call your doctor and have them fax a script to the pharmisist.  Otherwise, you will need to visit a new doctor for a new prescription.  If you are overseas, I am unsure about the process.  It would also depend largely on which country you are in.

I hope that helps answer your questions

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

@BlueBay

Thank you! It has been very empowering understanding myself better, learning to control my thoughts and actions has helped so much. I wish you all the luck also!

Hi @BlueBay' @NikNik' @snoopy my husband has cancelled his support team !!

Hi @BlueBay

I don't think it sounds selfish or stupid!

It can be scary to think about life without support - but that doesn't have to be the way.

Support will always be there, regardless of which stage of recover we're at. It's up to us as individuals to dictate what support we need, by who and how often - and isn't determined by how unwell you are or aren't.

@Former-Member

Thank you!

Yes, a lot has changed.

Ditched an abusive relationship, began to notice my pain causing situations, started regular walking with my dog, forced myself to interact with people at the dog parks, gained employment, got back into study, moved in with positive likeminded people, learned about self care and started DBT therapy.

Thanks @snoopy

I get quite anxious to talk about my medications, should I just have a piece of paper with the different meds to hand over to anyone who asks? I don't really feel like talking about it. I get nervous and then people don't understand what I say.

Do I need a docs letter for travelling in Australia?

Hi @Former-Member, it's my understanding that you don't have to disclose your medication status to all your health team, but that it is in ones best interest to do so. On holidays, I've always felt it's best if you can take a supply of medicines with you but also extra scripts and medic letters if the meds you need are those that have a high level of risk or of abuse. Travelling overseas can carry extra requirements regarding many medication, so NEVER jump on an international flight without first checking regulations of the countries you are heading to, and getting medical certificates to cover your essential meds. It's also worth noting that some meds which are common here are illegal to carry at particular dosages, although lower doses are fine...

Always check first. The last thing anyone with MI needs is to be hauled away from customs and subjected to investigators. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance