Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // NOW IN SESSION // Medication

Thanks, @snoopy. Can't agree more with all your points. But I need to add another; exercise.  Putting on weight is a big issue for many people using MI meds, and regular exercise can offset that, but also it gives natural endorphins which can make a huge difference to overall mood and coping ability regardless of whether or not meds are part of the equation. 

@snoopy, how can you keep hope up when feeling like a Guinea pig trying to figure out which combinations and dosage of meds will actually help? I find that increasingly demotivating especially when I take all the side effects in account that hit me with every dose of medication change.

Exactly right @GothMum.  I couldnt have put it better myself. 

I could also add eating regularly and well (with limited sugar and caffeine), as well as having good sleep hygeine. Smiley Happy

Hi @Former-Member. I think that is a very valid question. I guess we all find hope in different places – just reading everyone’s stories here offer some great and varied examples. I like to say that the hope comes in knowing that most people will find a combination of medications, therapy, community support and personal support to suit them. And it can take a while. And it is soo tiring. I can appreciate that. Does it help to think that with every dose or medication change, comes a step closer to perhaps finding what will work for you?

Totally true @Former-Member

Some of you have talked about trying to come of your medication but not having had it go to plan.  Thats another element of medication: is being prepared to change your plans.

Coming off medication can sometimes be a big disappointment for people, if it doesn't bring the improvement they hoped for. But even if you don't manage to come off completely, you may succeed in reducing your dose, and this could make a significant difference to how you feel.

You can also consider trying again at a later time. The fact that things did not go as you wished this time does not mean that they never will.

Some people find out that they are happier taking medication after all. This is also helpful to know. It may be easier to get on with the rest of your life once you have accepted that medication is part of it, and you feel that the decision was yours rather than your doctor’s.

Has anyone else felt similarly?

Hi @MoonGal - I hope you've found members' responses helpful tonight in answering your questions. 

The truth is that nearly all medications, both over-the-counter and prescription, have some kind of undesirable and sometimes dangerous aftereffects, from muscle aches to death. Even with the federal regulations that oversee these drugs, side effects are inevitable.

All medicines have possible side effects, but not everybody will experience them. When you are recommended a medicine, it's important to ask questions about side effects and what this means for you.  When you are thinking about the risk of side effects with a medicine it's important to also keep in mind its benefits.

To work out the benefits of your medicine, you need to know what it does (its effect) and how well it works. Here are some pointers to finding out what your medicine will do for you.  www.nps.com.au offers some useful ways to think about your medication

A medicine or medication can work in different ways, it might:

• prevent an illness from developing
  • reduce some or all of the symptoms
  • stop an illness from getting worse
  • cure an illness
  • prevent complications developing.

Here are some questions for you to think about and discuss with your health professional:

• How will this medicine help my illness?
  • Which benefits are important to me?
  • How will I know the medicine is working and how long will that take?
  • How well is the medicine likely to work?

The National Prescribing Service has a helpful sheet to indicate the pros and cons of taking your medication and you can give each factor a rating according to how important it is to you. Remember if you are deciding whether to take a medicine at all, you can think about it the same way — weigh up the benefits and risks of taking the medicine versus those of not taking it.  www.nps.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/115574/Personal_Decision_Guide_For_Medicines.pdf  Remember to always talk over your medicines decisions with your health professional.

I think empowerment and knowing you have the right to choose, for me, is essential. I think any preconceived expectations and ideas also went out the window when I decided to stay on medication as part of my whole complete picture.

There was also much relief because I didn't have to prove anything to anyone and fully appreciating it is what it is, confronting my self imposed glass ceilings and stigma and learning to just be. That's enough and enough is okay.

For me to continue to make those informed choices in my life, I need to be on the even keel and my choice includes medication for my 'chemical balance' 😉  

'I think empowerment and knowing you have the right to choose, for me, is essential.' 

Amen to that @Heartworks !

Thank you @snoopy for that information

My husband used to be given only anti depressiant  meds which he has given up over the years

But this time when he ended up in hospital they gave him anti anxiety meds as well

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance