Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

WAwinelover
New Contributor

Taking a brave (for me) step

Hi, I'm new to this type of honest group but unfortunately not new to alcohol addiction 😔.

My current plan of attack is to delay my drinking time, currently up to 345 pm.

This I know is an early for some start time but it's just become regular for me over the last 10 years.

I'm struggling.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you 💜

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Taking a brave (for me) step

Hi @WAwinelover 

Firstly welcome to the Sane forums. I hope you find the support you are looking for on here.

We are non-judgemental but are here to support you in whichever way we can.

It certainly is a brave step to admit to our addictions and an even braver step to share it with a group of strangers.

If you would like to tag me or anyone just put a @ infront of our names and we will get a notification.

Again welcome, and we are here to support you in anyway we can.

Thank you 💜

@WAwinelover 

Congratulations on taking a brave step for yourself.

Have you seen a doctor lately to do a check up and maybe see what other supports can be provided for you?

What is it that makes you delay when you start drinking?

Hi @WAwinelover and welcome to the forum! 

I haven't had alcohol addiction before, quitting smoking twice is it for me. I might be off the mark because of lack of experience with alcohol (and def no judgement here) but I had a few thoughts about it. One idea is maybe to schedule something in the time that you'd usually have a drink. Maybe something nice for you that's relaxing and then see if you can extend it that way. I know when I gave up cigarettes I didn't use the word quit. I'd just say to myself that it didn't matter if I had a smoke tomorrow but just for today I'm not going to. That happened a few days straight and then it became a bit more about willpower because I could see that I'd made it through one day, two days, three days etc. I still didn't face it as something I was quitting. I think maybe because if I thought of it as quitting it was a pass/fail thing. 

Maybe you could use a nice activity for delaying having the drink. If you focus on the time of having a drink it might make things harder because you'll be clock watching. This idea might not help at all, it's just an idea. 

Another thing as others have suggested is to maybe see if you can get some professional help around this to make it easier and have support. I'm not sure of the supports for this but you can call the SANE help centre on the number at the top of this page and they can offer support and places that you may be able to get support. 

Good luck with it and good job 👏 on posting here, it's a hard thing to do and a great start. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance