Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Good Morning!

@Appleblossom 

Hello Apple,

I would recommend avoiding opening a "Hard Disc Drive" to recover material from the storage memory. If it is the older spinning disc hard drive, there are some ways to attempt to recover material. If it is a Solid State Drive, I do not know of any ways to recover once damaged or inoperative. That does not necessarily mean that there are none. Here lies the reason for the comment we hear so often,

"Back-up one hard drive to another", "Always keep a back-up", etc. OK That is another story.

Can you tell me please, what is the problem with your hard drive? Because there may be different ways of dealing with your present issue, depending on the problem and the reason that it has occurred.

I am going to be out till sundown, probably 1½ hours ~6.30pm WAST, but I would be happy to look at the information that you can give me, and if I can, suggest options.

Cheers for now

HenryX

Thanks @MDT 

My bad @HenryX  No back up.  Old computer fell on floor, had rattle and would not turn on again.  I bought it 5 years ago ...  HP.  Not in any rush. lol .. All good.

This could be an adventure!

Smiley Happy

Sounds bad @Appleblossom take it to suburban type computer shop they can prob get info off it for not much

Do it @Appleblossom
Go on an adventure!!

@Appleblossom 

Hello Apple,

I'm sorry, when you said “get memory out of my old computer” I thought that you meant disassemble the hard drive, which is what I would not recommend. Just a matter of terminology.

The reason that I asked for details was so that I knew the question to which I was responding. I simply did not want to make assumptions about what the problem really was.

If it is that the computer will simply not turn on, that does not necessarily mean that the hard drive (Memory) is broken or even faulty. Here are a few possible options that may sort the issue for you. And don't worry, you're not the only one who doesn't keep proper back-up copies, despite my earlier comments. I just added those to encourage you to make such arrangements, but most of us think

it will never happen” because it so rarely does, including me.

• The hard drive is simply one of the parts in the computer.

• It is very likely that one of the electrical connectors may have been dislodged in the computer case, causing the computer not to turn on (nothing to do with the hard drive) in which case the repair of the computer, itself, could possibly be very straight forward.

• The hard drive can be removed from the computer and inserted into another computer, as a secondary drive. This may be fiddly, with small jumper connectors on the back of the hard drive to be changed around, to turn it from a primary hard drive (if it is the only hard drive in the original computer) to a secondary drive. If you were to purchase another computer from a computer shop, this would be a relatively easy transfer for the shop, assuming that the original hard drive is still ok. I could certainly talk you through removal of the hard drive, that I think you are referring to as memory. However, I think that @MDT  is correct, in that videos are easier to follow.

• I entered “Remove hard drive from computer” into my browser Title bar, where the instructions, which are very clear, show the relatively simple process of removing the hard drive from the computer in a number of videos. In one video the computer is on one side, and the other side is being lifted up, from the top, but the process is the same on upright or flat computers.

• video.https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=remove+hard+drive+from+computer#kpvalbx=_tV_UYNTN...

Probably the easiest and most practical option, that you could do yourself, would be the following:

• The removed hard drive could be connected by adaptor to a USB port on another computer. This would then, effectively turn the original hard drive into an external hard drive. I have 3 of these adaptors that I bought online for about $10.00 each. purchased for that very purpose.

The following link is to an ebay outlet supplying that type of adaptor. You can even purchase an enclosure to hold the hard drive (Small purposely made box for safety and security) This will give you all the features to which I referred in response to @ShiningStar 

• Check this website for the adaptor to which I have referred:

• <https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183348587999?hash=item2ab06d6ddf:g:hGgAAOSwjnpbfVuO> This item is priced at $8.95 with free postage

• The Enclosure

• Enclosure Simplecom SE325 3.5" SATA HDD to USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure - Blue
    SKU# AB73273, Model# SE325-BL cost about $25.00

• I hope that this information is helpful for you Appleblossom

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Do you need a cigarette @Appleblossom
Very comprehensive and beyond my knowledge @HenryX Well Done

Good morning @TAB @HenryX @MDT @Appleblossom @ShiningStar @Ant7 @Shaz51 @Adge @Meowmy @Schitzo @Zoe7 @AussieRecharger @Snowie @frog @greenpea @BPDSurvivor @outlander @Clawde @Owlunar @bipolarbunny and all forumites here! Have a great day!

I'm off to the library to do uni study- repeating the Australian politics unit from the start of the year due to MH issues- and for once, I'm actually looking forward to the subject this time around. I've looked at the major assessment and feel I can do the essay question justice on voting and political parties so that's a positive. As for the whole Tafe thing, I've had to speak to a student rights person as apparently the tafe messed up my enrolment and I wasn't treated fairly. It's even gone as high as the chief executive of the tafe as I happened to mention getting the Department of Education involved if they didn't investigate the situation what didn't go down too well with the tafe. Sometimes you just have to stick up for what you believe in and feel what's right.

Have a great day!

Judi9877😎🌸

Good move @Judi9877
Sometimes the admin process in uni and or tafe is hard to comprehend
Good move sticking up for yourself

Good Luck @Judi9877  hope it turns out okay

@HenryX Loved your clear precise logical explanation. Thanks for link.

Heart

Made me laugh out loud cos it is what I suspected,from old days when I was more into understanding gadgets 1970s, Since 1990s I just got turned off them all ...too much hoo haa and hype ... not enough benefit for me personally.  Even tho I call myself a nerd. Somewhere inside I do not relate to the movie The Revenge of the Nerd.

Nah thanks @TAB Its 30 years since I last smoked.

@Judi9877 Love that you go to library.  For a long time it was my favourite place.

Good Morning all on the forum

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance