Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gezza
Contributor

Schizoaffective disorder

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My diagnosis is SAD. Just hoping to get better at coping with illness by getting involved with this forum. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Schizoaffective disorder

Hi @Gezza

Welcome to the forums, glad you joined us!

I am sure you will find it helpful to be able to talk about things with people who share your diagnosis, or even if they don't it's wonderful to be able to speak open and honestly.

I have found the forum incredibly helpful, it is a great community, I hope you find the same 🙂

Good morning @Gezza, Welcome to the forum. As @Nikolai has said, you will find support and help here. This forum has been a great help for me when I first reached out. It is nice to have people to talk to who understand, listen or just be there for you. Whilst some are experiencing what you are going through other can be there for you just to chat with and support you .

Speak soon. 🙂

Hi there @Gezza,

A very warm welcome from me as well! How are you going in regards to your mental health diagnosis, are you getting some good support and have some self-care in place? Looking forward to getting to know you a bit better!

Take care,

Lunar

I am lucky to have been seeing the same psychiatrist for 16 years and gp for nearly 30 years. Sometimes I wonder if they are part of my problems but I stick with them. I have seen a counselor also over the last 8 years or so. I have also seen a great clinical psychologist. As far as getting anywhere i am doing ok but lonely and feel like i am in a continuous rut. As far as self care i always adhere to taking my medication. I could do with more support and self care. Cheers Gezza

Thanks Nikolai I'm looking forward to improving my life and hopefully I can contribute something positive to this forum.

Hi Heart. I have lived quite an isolated life i feel. I am reaching out. When i was in hospital i generally kept to myself. I am much better and feel ready to reach out for my own benefit and hopefully others.

Just reading other posts: i agree that family and friends are for me great during a crisis but don't understand the chronic battle of mi.
But maybe it is ok to be a bit of a loner and introvert.

Hi Gezza, 

I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective dissorder recently but have suffered it for most of my life. This is the first time I've been honest with my psychologist and doctor about what really goes on in my head, so they were able to diagnose me better. I have been searchinbg SANE and Beyond Blue for people to reach out to with similar diagnosis. 

Perhaps we can chat and swap stories? I don't know about you but sometimes I feel completely alone in this.

One of my biggest concerns is a delusion I regularly have that this world is not reality and I need to wake up or go back to my true reality. 

What is your biggest concern?

Hi FamilyHead
Thanks for sharing. An important thing I learned off my psychologist was that delusions are Fixed False Beliefs. This helped me a lot.
I don't really have one big concern at the moment except for the well being of my family and friends.
I have had numerous symptoms over the years.
Yes I too feel isolated and it would be great to maintain contact with you.
Being honest with my care providers has helped me a lot.
Mindfulness is about living in the here and now I think. I think it also calms the mind. Perhaps Google mindfulness if you like.
Best regards G

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance