Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Disability Support System-Deamonised

For reasons that don't fit with my particular response here, I won't go into the whole DSP bit....... (grrrr), however, I really want to encourage anyone who is able to to look into peer support.

At this point, I have been a (voluntary) peer suppport worker for 11 + years with people with MS, which has it's own associated mental health issues (due to living with the unpredictability of the disease, suddenly having your who 'life map' changed, and a higher disposition to depression.

I have found it to be great for my own mental health, as I feel better helping someone else, often just by listening, or relating how I solved a particular issue. My work is mainly done by phone, as I usually deal with people in rural/regional/remote areas.

Re: Disability Support System and Study

Hi,

I have gone back to study (albeit very very part time with an on campus course, but also a web based uni course that is much, much more supportive than the campus based one).

It helps give me a bit of confidence back after being knocked downso many times. And, with the exception of the disability worker at the campus uni here, I have found the workers for online degrees/diplomas etc incredibly well informed, helpful, and really want you to succeed. I have found that if they don't understand your particular disease, they will go out of there way to research it. And even better, at your own pace, in your 'good times', and with a whole forum of others studying in the same way, who help to support too.

Smiley Happy

Well, I finally put in my DSP application- Lets see how it goes

Kenny

Good on you Kenny!

Well done Kenny, good luck. Hopefully given what you're dealing with they'll see sense first time around. Don't be too put off if you have to persist though. I believe it can make a big difference who you get for the Job Capacity Assessment.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Good for you Kenny.  I hope it goes well.

Amber Heart

And never forget, the foremost rip-off artists and bludgers are politicians, governments and business.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance