Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Disability Support System-Deamonised

I think that it is great that you have wanted to work and have been trying to. The problem is, when you are really stuck and are dealing with mental illness you do need that support sometimes.

I am kind of mixed up and confused about what I am going to do. I applied for the DSP last year, because I had no idea what I was going to do. I had not been diognosed then and of course was rejected. With so many new restrictions and hoops to go through, I don't know if I should even try again. But I can't even do the normal everyday things, let alone think about work. I just don't know if they will understand that. 😕

BUT, if we need that support we can at least try. Stressing about money and trying to do things does not help.

Hi Moon

Sorry things are hard for you.I know the feeling well. Fortunately my medication does help me a lot. I have to take it over the whole day so that is a bit of a drama taking it 4 times a day but it stops unwanted symptoms coming back.  I think that the barriers to getting the DSP are almost impossible. My best friend is a paranoid schizophrenic with really obvious issues but he got rejected on the first attempt. He had a bad episode and a stay in the mental health unit,which finally caused the assessors to relent and give him the DSP on the second attempt. I dont think they are worrying about the impact on people, just trying to get the numbers down. From what I see it seems important to have a really competant and supportive psych  or health professional to help guide you through the process. So maybe that is something to explore. I hope you get some real support Moon. Lets know if I can do anything to help, even though I am so far away.

Kenny

Thanks Allesandra- I found a MI support group where I live who will walk me through the application process if I apply. You are right, the cost of medication is getting a bit overwhelming, particularly the ones on private script. I have offered to volunteer in both the disability support care area and also in the employment area where I think I could make a difference. Jus waiting to see if anyone takes up my offer. I also put my mame down to visit people in the clinic where I had my hospitalisation to visit people that have no friends or family visit them-so that one should work out I think. I also found out there is a cert 3 and 4 course in disability support care at the uni which i am going to try and get into. Im told the government might pick up the cost of that if I qualify. So I am really trying everything I can think of.

Hi Kenny,

I really empathise with your dilemma. Having read the other posts I think there is good advice here.

In the end I think no one else can tell you whether you can or should/not be working with your condition, you will know. (Graeme Innes was so right about people with disabilities being cotton-woolled.) Going onto DSP even as a fall-back position at least enables financial and physical survival. However I understand the depth of your reluctance.

I had a terrible time facing the fact that I needed to apply for DSP, I just didn't want to accept that I couldn't work. I also felt deeply ashamed, I did not want to be on a pension. But for me the evidence was there - every time I tried to work or study after I had my kids I would end up desperately and unrelentingly depressed to the point of desperation. And if I was honest with myself - even before I had kids, although I worked full-time, I coped by seeing my therapist at least 1x, but sometimes 4x, per week, and I was just about catatonic at night when I went home.

I find it deeply ironic that having finally (after about 6 years) come to terms with my inability to do paid work, and having found many sustainable and rewarding ways to support other vulnerable people in my community - this abusive government is threatening to throw me back to the workplace lions because my disablility is not permanent - it fluctuates. Quite frankly I am terrified. So I totally relate to your deep angst about the treatment you've received at the hands of Centrelink, and the job agencies story is sadly a very common one.

I admire your determination, it's an excellent quality for anyone to have - and particularly useful if you suffer from a debilitating mental or physical condition. It may be a long journey, but in the end you will get there (wherever there is!) - I hope you find many blessings on your journeying.

Best regards,

Kristin

Thanks Kristin

You are so right about the reasons I dont want to go onto the DSP-the shame thing is very real. I dont know the answer about whether i can work a proper job or not, I think I can but the real world may be a different thing for me. Anyway I will exhaust all my employment options and go throught the process probably of applying for the DSP and see where it all leaves me. I guess I dont have to take it up if I qualify in any event. It is very difficult to put ones MI into a proper context and often, as I am sure happens with some other MI people you can have an unrealistic view of your abilities and condition. One funny aspect of the whole thing is when I rang up centrelink and bitterly complained about being told I could work only 8-15 hrs per week and I wanted it reviewed. The customer sevice officer says they never had that request before and didnt know how to process it. So everything has a lighter side. The truth is I am very lucky in that my depressive periods are not with me all the time so my main stuff is hallucinations, delusions and Manic behaviour. I hasten to add though it is kept under control by my medication which i religiously take on time thanks to my flatmate. The only issue with this is that a couple of them make me quite tired. Having said all that though I dont have a pessimistic view of my condition at all, nor so i feel like any sort of victim. I am quite happy to rock along and take on whatever gets handed to me, good or bad. I am very appreciative you wrote to me with all your kind words.

kenny

Kenny it might also be worth checking out your local areas mental health services website, I am not sure what region of QLD you are in or even of the general state of things Peer Work wise in QLD but there might be small temp jobs come up there, things like sitting on a CAG or doing some work with consumers in another way. It is a good way to get your foot in the door. I teach iPad at my local Community health service, sit on the CAG and also do focus group and consumer consultant work ocassionaly, all of which I am hoping lead to bigger and brighter things. Peer work is great for a number of reasons, it is an awesome way to get involved in the community, it gives you a great deal of insight and it also means that they are perfectly aware of the fact that you have a mental illness, after all that is kind of the point!

When I got my Faciliating job teaching iPad, my immediate thought was, "So crazy geek IS a career choice!"

Your very inspirational.

On a side note,have you found any employers to be compassionate/accepting when told of your diagnosis or have they all been judgmental or stigmatising?

Thanks heaps nyxsong. I have been pretty dumb and uninformed about this, probably up until my last admission but since that time I have been on the case. I have written off to the one mental health group in town and went to see them before I met my employment providers. I also asked my psych if he could let me know if he hears of anything, as he is at the coal face, so to speak. Its a litle hard where I am way up in the far north, with the second highest unemployment stats in the country, just behind regional Tasmania. The overwhelming employment opportunities are in the tourism sector mainly focused on seasonal work. So I think that volunteer work in the sector may be the only way to go in the first instance, which I am trying to do. All of the posts have given me lots of information and may things to think about, as well as being incredibly supportive. I am sure I will crack something eventually. Thanks again

Re: Disability Support System and Study

Hi Kenny,
I think your plan to do further study is a great pathway to work. You might also want to explore if you have access to special consideration if you ever need it, depending on study workloads. I have hesitation in accessing services that help me stay in study..your drive and determination is inspiring...and being online I think counts as community building, so you might be able to put being part of this trial on your CV too. Maybe check with site moderators and see if that is possible?

Re: Disability Support System and Study

Thanks Allesandra.

I think some learning institutions help you if you need some support with an MI or other conditions as well. My schizophrenic flatmate did his science degree and got a lot of support from the uni which helped him graduate.

Its all very exciting talking about it with people on the forum-thanks for helping me out 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance