Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Surfer37
Contributor

ADHD & Psychosis

Hey Everyone,

I'm still in recovery mode after a 12 month long THC induced psychosis where my reality was just like the Truman show, the world revolved around me. It took about 6 months to transfer back to reality, fighting thoughts and memories. Imagine someone told you that your last 12 months of life and reality were not real. Imagine then having to question everything, your whole existence...that's what I've just been through. This lead to a long period of suicidal ideation.

Amongst a long list of extreme diagnosese including Bipolar from and psychiatrist, I did get diagnosed with ADHD by a psychologist in one of my hospital stays. This was a relief when I found out as I had already started to figure this out for myself.  Years of undiagnosed ADHD that manifested into an acute, long deterioration of my mental health.

I'm learning how to move forward in a more regulated way; taking it slow, reducing stress and being much more aware of my thoughts and behaviours so that history doesn't repeat itself.

What I would like to hear about is how people are living with ADHD (and bipolar), and how they manage their lives.  Basically I've always done things at 150% or 0%, mind racing all over the place, bouncing between business ideas, great problem solving skills, self destructive, manic excitement, but then comes the long crippling lows. For the last 10 months I've been beyond lifeless, fried my brain, not wanting to live. I'm slowly showing progress and mostly keeping my feet and my thoughts in the land of the living.

As I move forward, what advice do you guys have for living with an ADHD brain. My mind is starting to work again, I'm starting to think like I used to, just not as fast which is probably a good thing. I am getting excited for things again but in a more stable way, my lows are becoming less and less as I progress in life.

Appreciate the feedback.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: ADHD & Psychosis

Hi @Surfer37 

I’m sorry you have been so unwell but glad that you are now getting your life back.

I don’t have any lived experience with ADHD so can’t offer much advice other than listening to your medical practitioner and perhaps a dietitian.

Take care 🤗

Hey @Surfer37 Sounds like it's been a really awful time but glad to hear things are getting easier, even if slowly. I just thought I'd pop some threads here that may be of interest. 

Topic-Tuesday-ADHD 

Wait-what-did-I-come-into-this-thread-for-again-Oh-yeah-ADHD 

And if you wanted to chat to a peer worker you can find those details here 

Wishing you all the best on your journey 🙏

@Surfer37medication and sessions with psychiatrist and psychologist . Stay on meds even when you dont want to is the key to success imho

Hey @Surfer37 , it's really common to mourn the psychosis - for me, I miss the confidence and clarity and the sense of everything coming together that the psychosis gave me. 

A couple of resources I've seen recommended for living with ADHD include Additude Magazine  and How to ADHD .  I hope they help!

@Gwynn, yes you are correct. I have been mourning who I was through the psychosis period. You nailed it with confidence, clarity and everything coming together...thanks for the validation.

"I've always done things at 150% or 0%, mind racing all over the place, bouncing between business ideas, great problem solving skills, self destructive, manic excitement, but then comes the long crippling lows."

Hey @Surfer37 - Are we related.. Holy Dooley mate, you sound like one of my family members and it's hardcore trying to manage a relationship with him let alone trying to get him to understand when he has gone from a high to a low. 

The best part of everything you have stated is you understand it, and that I feel is the first step to the next phase of your life. Understanding how you are feeling gives you the power to make decisions while you can to determine your future.  For example, if you are feeling that manic drive, you know what will come next so start to plan for it, saves some money and put in place supports. When you down, put in place exercise routines, work ideas etc for the next time you are manic so when you are hyper you have things to work on.. You don't have to take my example, your down might be to potent for planning and your ups might be too up for planning as well, the point is that with the power of knowing, you can take small steps to plan ahead.  

How do you feel you will go managing the next part of your life now?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance