Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: How do you cope with triggers?

I spent years training myself not to react to things .. cos I FELT I could go off on a tangent about most stuff ... any word or concept could get me dander up ... 

I realised then I would just be arguing with everybody .. cos of this word or that word ... that triggered me.

I allowed myself to react .. but not often ..  sometimes .. cos I needed to know what it "felt" like ...mostly I have a lot of self control ..  I also read in a file that I had too much self control .. so it was probably needed sometimes ... just be out there without fear.

There really is no one right way.

@Appleblossom wrote:

I spent years training myself not to react to things .. cos I FELT I could go off on a tangent about most stuff ... any word or concept could get me dander up ... 

I realised then I would just be arguing with everybody .. cos of this word or that word ... that triggered me.

This made so much sense to me.  I do enjoy reading your posts @Appleblossom

I'm probably on the wrong thread. I had a look at this one because, to be honest, I'm too afraid to read other peoples posts. I think I know what I might find there. But while I was reading here, I noticed something here that I'm starting to feel. Like I'm not being heard. That even just a like or something would feel as if I had some connection with someone. I don't want to keep putting the @'s in, because I don't want to bother people. I also don't want to be inconsiderate, or, I can't think of the word . . . wanting too much attention. But they say there's no harm in asking so . . . could somebody like me? I think I'd really appreciate that 🙂

Niqueeta,   can I suggest do use the @Former-Member  because if you don't some people don't receive email notifications of your post.  So feel free to utilise the facility.  Unless of course someone specifically asks you not to tag them (which is what it's called)  and that's very unlikely.  People use it as a convenience, to "tag" in others to the post they are making.

Thank you @Former-Member, I feel quite foolish - straight after I posted this I found 5 likes! I would also like to thank @Zoe7, @Appleblossom, @Former-Member and @Mazarita. I had a big day, it's nice to not feel alone at the end of it 🙂

Thank you @Former-Member, I hope everyone realises how much they help. Even when someone isn't thinking very well. Thank you all so much!

Thank you @Former-Member and @Former-Member for your likes, these likes are making my day much better 🙂

Your welcome @Former-Member Sending warm hugs as well 🤗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance