Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: How do you cope with triggers?

What can you do when the post is so triggering, you react in a "I can't breathe, my heart is pounding, I can't move, I'm frozen on the spot, seriously think I'm going to die" kind of way?
Apart from deleting the app from my phone, I struggle to think what to do?
But reading about other people's stories is so positive.
Confused.

hi @Former-Member

you dont have to delete from the app. if you start to read a post and sometimes you can tell from the title if its going to be triggering for you, just put it off for a while and then come back when your ready to reply if you decide to reply but even a smiply heart or a like can shwo your support even if you dont really know what to say.

i get that reaction quite often when i read thing but i have to remeber that they posted it for a reason, whether it be for support, advice or they want to share their story for other and to show they arent alone in what they are dealing with  🙂

I'm so crazy, I feel like it's a personal attack. I feel like the words are attacking me.
I know that doesn't make sense, but it feels like the universe is setting me up to fail, by putting these things out there and me getting upset by them.
I think I'm failing therapy and I fear this will never go away.

Hi @Former-Member

Im not sure we've met before, sounds like things are overwhelming right now. Is there something particular that has brought this up for you, the feeling attacked? 

I dont think you can 'fail' therapy, but it is a hard process some of the time.

are you ok?

lj

@Former-Member not crazy at all!

we all get abit like that, i can say from experience that i feel that sometimes as well.

your not failing at all, therapy is very hard to deal with but over time its suppose to get better, i havent got that far yet but being on the forums have helped me see the survivours of mental illness and helps inspire me to keep trying. we all have our ups and downs but just trust in yourself as well 🙂

and maybe if you feel like you can contribute to the conversation, do so in a way that maybe you wish someone would say to you to help you get through it. think of it through another perspective. it might help you but you are definently not failing, there are many peopel here that would support you, myslef included so dont be afraid to let your story out 🙂

sorry to override your post @BlueBay

Hi @Former-Member
Just read your post and I hope you don't think I'm attacking you or anyone else for that matter. I just wanted to ask how others cope with triggers. Sorry if I have triggered you.

No prob @Former-Member
I hope my post hasn't triggered anyone. I know I triggered myself but I don't want to hurt anyone. Xx

@BlueBay

you didnt trigger me (for once somthing didnt 🙂 )

hopefully some of the suggestion ive put out will help you as well as others that read your post 🙂

its a very good question that many people are wondering themselves

@BlueBay.... not at all it was a timely and important post for me.
I'm just really struggling with it. And not just on this board, but in life. I've got a lot of little crap going on and I'm doing therapy and talking about a lot of stuff I've never talked about and things keep setting me off.
Like grocery shopping, and walking to the bus stop. Perfectly normal things, nothing anyone has done wrong. But sets me off nonetheless.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance