Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Living with BPD - your questions answered // 3 Oct. 7pm - 9pm AEST

I like hearing I'm right Smiley LOL Just kidding!

For those who said the name of BPD should change - what would you prefer it be called?

(on a side-note - years ago bipolar was called manic-depression, before there was a push to change it)

Re: Topic Tuesday // Living with BPD - your questions answered // 3 Oct. 7pm - 9pm AEST

lol.. im not sure... the emotion dysregulation idea sounded ok to me...

How does the title 'boarderline personality disorder' sit with you? Would you call it something different or are you comfortable with it?

I think it is an absurd name. It dates back to when it was thought that BPD sat at the border of neurosis and psychosis. I know there was a strong push to change it in the DSM-V but the idea was rejected. A big part of this push was to change it to complex PTSD. Now complex PTSD is being thrown around as a diagnosis AND BPD is also still being thrown around. I have asked several times in Forum Land if anyone can explain to me how the one individual can end up with a dual diagnosis of both BPD and complex PTSD when the diagnostic criteria are nearly identical.

I think it also makes it incredibly difficult to distinguish the illness from the person. I mean, my personality is ME. There is no other me hiding under my personality. I am my personality, my personality is me. Thus, telling me that my personality is disordered but that I shouldn't let that define me makes no sense to me whatsoever. Smiley Frustrated

however there probably needs to be two diagnoses @Phoenix_Rising because not all BPD people have had trauma.. ? so even though they are nearly the same there needs to be both? as to why diagnose someone with trauma with one, the other or both, im sure every psychiatrist has their own view point... mine does!

I think I'd call it "pervasive emotion dysregulation disorder".

@Former-Member Yep, that was the argument against renaming BPD complex-PTSD. The vast majority of people with BPD do have a trauma history. My personal view is that those without that history probably don't have BPD (but that is just my view and many disagree with it - hence why it didn't get changed in the DSM-VSmiley Happy). Either way, the puzzle still remains why anyone would ever get BOTH diagnoses.

Whats this all about. I know its about BPD which i have but whens it going to start

Thank you ALL so much for braving some tough questions tonight - all in the name of raising awareness and helping others understand.

I hope nothing has been triggering in here for anyone tonight. If something has though, please don't hesitate to stick around in other threads and wind down and connect with others. If things are escalating, it's super important to talk directly though. SANE's Help Centre is available until 10pm AEDT and there are crisis services available 24/7:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

Beyondblue: 1300 22 4636 or web chat

Mensline: 1300 78 99 78 or online counselling

If in immediate danger: 000

Thank you ALL again so much.

Thank you.gif

i didnt think 'Complex-ptsd' was in the dsm-V ? i thought it stayed as singular ptsd?

Thank you @NikNik - thank you for the opportunity! Thank you to all who shared!

Super big thank you @NikNik...even though I think my brain is about to explode or something. Smiley Frustrated

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance