Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

It's important for everyone to realise that those people who are our role models struggle as well. People who seemingly "have it all" can suffer terribly from anxiety, depression and all types of MI.

I saw an interesting interview with Anthony Field aka the Blue Wiggle on Anh Do's Brush with Fame series. I was blown away by how honest he was discussing his battle with depression. Think also of comedian Robin Williams. I didn't see that coming. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

Can you tell us a little about those different experiences between male and female Psychologists @Adge?  That's not something I've heard before.

@soul

Definitely -- that can be with anyone. MI can be hidden... on the outside to others but it is felt deeply by the person themselves. Sometimes those who "have everything" or life could be seem to be going really well can be hit by the effects of depression.

However my experiences with psychologists of different genders has been very different. So that is something that I need to consider carefully before going to a psychologist (or seeking help).-- very true @Adge

@suzanne,the psychologists that my husband has seen , and that is a few , one kept blaming me for not doing enough , the other one tried to get him to be more assertive , and the last one said I cant help you

so My husband says he is never going back

Finding the right job when you have a mental health challenges is so tough @Shaz51.  People so often have to do what your hubby has done and find work well below their ability level.  This helps keep stress levels down and can be protective of their mental health on one level but is also quite demoralising too.

Very true @Adge. If anyone has a bad experience with their attempts at getting assistance or seeing a psych who lacks empathy or professional acumen, that is definitely going to put them off seeking help down the track. 

I think it's important for the general population to be more aware of detecting mental illness amongst their work colleagues, friends, neighbours and relatives. The "ruok" campaign is a great campaign but more needs to be done. 

very true @suzanne 

Hi @suzanne and others,

I definitely think men face some challenges that women don't, when it comes to MI. Even here in Forum Land it is readily apparent that the vast majority of forumites are female - which I think is indicative of the broader issue that women are more likely to reach out for support. I think the whole attitude of "big boys don't cry" still pervades our society far too much - and most likely will continue to do so. I can see how this would create an added barrier to seeking support, that women don't have to deal with so much.

That's awful @Shaz51, little wonder Mr Shaz isn't keen on going back to a psychologist.

This helps keep stress levels down and can be protective of their mental health on one level but is also quite demoralising too.-- this is a good point @suzanne, it is hard on how to help him

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance