Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Really confused and uncertain right now can't see a way forward through an employment situation

Judge Judy 🙂 I like it!

Even with the higher numbers across all levels of government of people who attest again and again if you say anything you'll be sacked and nothing is done.

It was disgusting to think that even with the most deplorable acts against a person in a recent instance against a government employee - when coming forward to tell their story they said the major hurdle was the fear of losing their job simply for speaking out 😐 I don't understand how this has grown to such a point.

Re: Really confused and uncertain right now can't see a way forward through an employment situation

It is sadly the one thing that I have  discovered through out my government career is that ultimately it's not what you know, it's who you know.

The lower down the chain you are  the less recourse or standing you have.

It says absolutely nothing about your experience or abilities.

I have been exactly where you are right now.

I have wondered if I would be employable at all. I am permanently employed in government ( sucker for punishment / I truly care about the work I do and the ppl I help support)

It takes a while to let go of the idea that justice will prevail because you won't win this battle, but if you are determined enough you will be live to fight in another battle and help others facing the same war .

Hey @flash-ferret , sounds like you're going through a tough one at the moment, and a lot of emotions are coming up for you. I hope it's been helpful to offload a bit here, and I also recommend reaching out to friends or family or a helpline if you feel like it could help to have a bit of a vent. 

I hear you in regards to the nature of our MH system and the way our gov't is managing it all. So many of us here have been through some truly awful experiences when we should have been getting care, understanding, and support. But there are definitely those of us who work in this field who are trying very hard to provide a different kind of experience, trying to support folks who have 'fallen through the cracks.' The MH system may be broken, but it's still important to get help and support if needed. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right people who make you feel like a person, not a burden or just see you as a diagnosis. 

Thank you for sharing your story Heart

I thought I had a win - and my stupid brain for some reason sees any glimmer of hope as hope, and it's always just the headlight of the oncoming truck, not the light at the end of the tunnel. It kind of feels like my head is saying "this is wrong, you have proof, justice and fairness should prevail!" but my heart is saying "I can't fight anymore, I know I'll lose like every single fight before. I just want to forget it ever happened, I want to try and forget I was there" that job and my work was my reason for being, i took a lot of joy and pride in what I did - and all those people knew. They knew of my conditions and the significance it had in my life. I don't have a SO or any social circles. I have one or two good acquaintences and one or two family members. I now stay inside all day every day, I get up take meds make a coffee, go back to bed. I get up again, watch some youtube, play a game for a while go back to bed, I try to sleep as much as I can so I don't have to feel these empty days of loneliness and hopelessness, and I just exist. If I was a worthwhile person, someone would have vouched for me - noone did, work colleagues would have befriended me - noone did. It's a very tiresome, unfair and shitty game this life thing. 😕

@flash-ferret 

I can relate to management dismissing someone as I have been through that myself even though I was in the right. One thing I had to learn was either continue fighting and destroy my mental health or let it go and protect my mental health which I found hard to do because I wanted justice. I was hesitant to trust management in my new job and it took time to realise that not every employer is the same. There are some employers out there that are supportive.

No one should use your mental health against you. You are not worthless. I can relate that when you feel like your up against the world that no one cares, but people do care. Mental health professionals and peer workers care. Family cares.

I know from my own experiences that it takes time from just existing to living. You might not yet be ready for work but you are making great achievements for when one day you will be ready to go back to work.

your achievements are you get out of bed, you make coffee, you play a game, you watch YouTube, you take your medication. That's a start and from my own experience it's challenging but can change your life in a positive way, it takes time. As you continue to get support from mental health professionals and expressing yourself and making achievements here you are starting your recovery journey. Take small steps and try to be patient with yourself.

I myself was grumpy when I had a legal case because I thought I was right and had evidence but sometimes even the "win" can feel like a loss because of the way the system works.

Eventually I realised that the job I had was my pride and joy but was terrible to work in due to the toxic environment. I realised that it was best to move forward. It didn't come without hitting rock bottom, but with encouragement from many professional supports I was able to move onto another job. Hopefully you get to overcome that poor work experience and can find a job where people will support you and not bully you.

You have friends here on this forum and we are all here to support you.

Hi @flash-ferret , I'm glad you at least have a psychologist and psychiatrist.

Just letting you know that if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 🙂

@HenryX 

I wonder if you have anything of value to offer here with your past employment history? Please go back and read through thread from beginning.

Thanks

Meggle

Hello @flash-ferret 

I hear what you are saying about work conditions and the attitude of others, who may be protecting themselves by not getting involved. Another variation of the “guilt by association” issue, that can make it difficult for others to be seen supporting us during such difficult events and situations.

That feeling of having reached rock-bottom is experienced in many different ways and for as many different reasons, by people who have also come to the forum, for support, assistance and an opportunity to express concerns in a relatively safe environment. Also to be able to interact with others who may also have been in similar situations and with whom you can share thoughts and ideas about moving forward. I have read through the responses to your original post and thread. Many others have stated, both on your thread and others, having had similar experiences.

Having a diagnosis of a mental health issue or difficulty can cause us to feel, somehow, vulnerable. But when we get a break and secure a job, especially one in which the work and companionship gives us considerable enjoyment and not only financial but non-financial rewards, we feel especially accepted and appreciative.

The reasons for release from a position can be many. Although the reasons may be stated, the foundation reasons may be different from those stated by the employer. That is not, what I believe is ethical, fair and, in your situation, not necessarily what has occurred, but it may be something to consider. I do believe that most of the options, that may have been available to you, have been explored by you, and others, who have offered their suggestions.

I understand that the events that you describe took place about twelve months ago. The work was contract based. I believe that it would be difficult, at this stage, and after that length of time, to have the decision reviewed, or overturned. The only other option, that I may have considered plausible, if taken sooner, but may even now be worthwhile, would be to have a carefully written letter, possibly with legal assistance, addressed to your local Member of Parliament, requesting that the information that you have collected be considered, with a view to the possibility of having, at least, your position possibly vindicated. This may cause the department, for which you worked, to be very cautious about making any adverse comments, should they be asked for a work reference.

Other than that, I can only suggest recovering any lost ground in your area of expertise, by continued or additional studies. This can be used by you to demonstrate your continued interest, application and up to date knowledge in your area of expertise.

Because I do not know the regional area in which you live, I have no way of knowing whether there may be any other employers, requiring your skills and expertise, available to you. Though IT skills can often be offered and applied in relatively small towns now.

Like you, I have been diagnosed as having ADHD and clinical depression, for which I continue to take a relatively high dose of medication, that unfortunately, is likely to continue for the rest of my life. I have had to face significant problems in my areas of occupation, for those and other reasons. Consequently, I can say, that as a result of the difficulties that I have faced, I am personally aware of the types of difficulties that you face, and have faced. It can be very hard to “get back into the saddle again”, after such negative experiences, and continue on the journey in a meaningful way.

Paradoxically, much of my employment life was based on assisting others, as students in selecting first employment positions, older people who were unemployed, seeking new positions or others wanting to improve their positions by changing their employment, as well as referrals for psychological assistance and support as appropriate. But my employment history was not a nice, smooth experience. I am now retired.

I mention that because, if I can assist with any thoughts, ideas or discussion that may help in any way, I would be most happy to respond.

If you are wanting to alert another member to a post that you have prepared, you can add an @ symbol in front of the forum name which makes the name a forum address. If you enter the @ symbol in a reply box, a drop down menu will offer all the forum addresses of the people who have participated in the thread. You can select as many as you wish.

Your forum name = flash-ferret     Your forum address = @flash-ferret

My forum name = HenryX      My forum address = @HenryX

A circle with a number in it, adjacent to the word “New” to the right of “Guidelines & Info” at the top right of the site page, will indicate the number of responses addressed to you. A left-click on the word “New” will take you to the “Notifications” page, where you will find listed, those messages addressed to you, or in which you have been active. A left-click on the thread name

eg. “Re: Morning has broken”, will take you to that message in the same browser tab, or right-click to open the message in a new browser tab.

If you have any questions, please ask and someone will be happy to respond with an answer.

For Now,

With My Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX thankyou for the sincere and considered post. I hadn't decided to turn it up to "11" and go ministerial on it yet - After the weekend absorbing and thinking I believe I need to see what other information is possibly "behind the scenes".

I'm grateful to all the members who gave kind thoughts and words also and I feel like this book is not quite finished yet.

For anyone following this topic who may find it relevant or similar to another experience I'd like to single out something that was said during the second conversation I had. Yes it is hearsay, but it reflects the actions taken.

The report that was written with responses to the allegations as well as recommendations was never sent (to me). The decision was made that it might *overwhelm* me and out of consideration for my mental health I was not meant to receive it or even be aware of its existence it seems. The person who assumed my capacity to receive the report and made the call was a senior executive.

So out of "consideration" for my mental health, a resolution was never offered and I was simply told there was no bullying, and a short time later I was sacked...such is a transparent, accountable, diversity inclusive and caring state government department. 

This type of treatment could be made against anyone and it honestly scares me that it can happen especially when someone is extremely vulnerable and everything gets sprung on them completely out of the blue.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance