Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Stigma... Taboo...Fake... In Your head...

@Pollyotter 

Wow, I can't believe a counsellor said disassociation isn't a real thing. I have a disorder with extreme dissociation/disassociation. I have been dissociating my whole life. I only started to be able to feel my body about 2 years ago. It is a VERY real. I think it is appalling anyone who is a counsellor would say anything like that. It's quite disgusting. 

I am fortunate I have never had the experience of not being believed. I never knew I was dissociating. All of my psychiatrists and therapists have told me I do. I can't imagine how invalidating that feels. I would feel a deep sense of pain. I am sorry you have gone through this. Perhaps time for a new counsellor? 

@Aniela

Apologies i didn't get the email notification.

Its interesting how counseling can be a gamble... are you getting someone who is counseling or are you getting someone who is trying to have you follow their belive system and values at the end of the day . I have seen this before unfortunately as a lesbian when people feel like you are a lost soul and should be saved from the evils of being gay. To the time when I was told how my low self worth is because I am not skinny. I like food what can I say but I am healthy still ... anyway there is only so much one can do and take . I think this was my drive to study counseling as well.

I recently had a wisdom tooth removed at a dental hospital under local anesthetic.

it took an hour or so to remove the tooth and my husband said it was butchery it was to be honest a nightmare. At the end I disassociated and the dr said to my husband "how funny she's given herself an anaesthetic"

I always feel like my head is floating and feel like I am walking in slow motion behind my body even the next day.  It's like time stands still.  Not a nice place to be when this happens.

Worst thing was I had to return two weeks later as I had a dry socket and infection, also had to have bone removed and shaved has it was exposed. I was terrified!

Aggh I hear you. 

Often it can be the case that the same people will at one point completely dismiss what I am feeling as "it's just your illness" and other times completely dismiss my feelings as "you are faking your illness". 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance