Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Loopy
Senior Contributor

Re: P.T.S.D

A few years ago I read an article , Mayo Institute, about a part of the brain, the hippocampus which is in thr centre of the brain. The study was about agroup of students who were cramming for their finals. Whilst doing so it was noticed that the hippocampus was shrinking during their studying. When the final were over it returned to normal. With PTSD sufferers the hippo. shrinks to point where it can not go back to its usual size. I have just searched out and discovered this bit of info, "The PTSD group had significantly smaller right (and a trend for smaller left) hippocampal volumes than the Control group. The results suggest an abnormal rCBF response in the hippocampus during explicit recollection of nonemotional material in firefighters with PTSD, and that this abnormal response appears to be driven by relatively elevated hippocampal rCBF in the comparison condition." "Recent studies have reported memory deficits and reduced hippocampal volumes in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).( source NCBI) Excellent site for any MI sufferer "About six months ago I was part of a study group in the Psych Dept of UTAS and it was about two hours long and arduous, at the end of which I was shown the results, nothing I did not already know but it was helping a young lady and her thesis. Boy a bit long winded.

loopy

Hey Loopy,

Can you send the link please? thanks

Kristin

Loopy
Senior Contributor

Kristin, your wish is my pleasure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

loopy

Neb
Senior Contributor

How fascinating Loopy... Neurology not being something I know much about. I have tended to avoid reading much about PTSD as I have been afraid I might unconsciously imitate it or whatever.

Thanks @Loopy but I managed that bit, I just couldn't find the article you mentioned. When I tyed in things like PTSD (etc, that you mentioned) I got about 46000 hits!Woman Surprised

have you got a link for the article page please?

Thanks again,

Kristin

Hey @Neb 

Well worth reading up about when you have the head-space!

PTSD is not contagious and it's unlikely you'd imitate it Woman LOL, any more than someone would imitate OCD after reading about it. 

Cheers,

Kristin

Loopy
Senior Contributor

Loopy
Senior Contributor

kristin, I have no doubt in the world that to imitate PTSD or any other MI would be all but impossible , each MI has some similarities but to imitate all the symptoms would not fool an idiot. "

Interesting. Thanks again @Loopy 

A shame it is only an abstract. 

My psych has given me a couple of links to look up - i must check them out & post if they semm likely to be of interest to others.

Cheers, Kristin

Neb
Senior Contributor

Kristin, you made me laugh ( always a good thing)....re PTSD not being contagious. I meant more about subconsciously picking up on a symptom or such like.

Surprisingly, I feel pretty lousy at present...I suspect I am not drinking enough fluid for a start . I went for a walk yesterday and met up with a friend who is a stay at home mum and was thrilled to see me which is nice. So why do I feel lousy...normally I am fairly tickety boo but at present I wish I was dead, there I have said it.....my life has been a burden and I am a complete waste of space...darn I hate this, I probably would feel better after a good cry and self indulging feeling sorry for myself..have I been taking my meds? Crap, crap, crappity crap!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance