Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Paris1
New Contributor

Losing a parent at a young age

Needing some advice on how to learn to be happy after a death of a parent at such a young age and now it’s all flooding back at the age of 22 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Losing a parent at a young age

Hi @Paris1 

Welcome to the Sane forums.

I have lost a parent but it wasn't at a young age. I'm sorry you have had to go through that. I think losing a parent is something we never get over.

I'm sure there are others that have gone through this and can offer you better advice.

Always here if you need someone to listen.

Re: Losing a parent at a young age

Hello @Paris1 My mother died when I was 7. As a result I have childhood trauma. 
My mother was 36 when she died, when I had my 36th birthday it was a profound understanding of a life cut-short. I had 3 children by then, 2 of them girls.

It wasn’t until recently that I came to the realisation that the impact of my mother passing resonated throughout her family so strongly, that not only did I lose my mother, I lost all of her family. My grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins.  

I hope this helps in some way.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance