Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BP-Chick
Casual Contributor

Hi all, I'm new

Hey everyone

I'm new to this forum but certainly not to MI.  I'll give a bit of back story, I think mainly to get it out of my head (as it is running in circles) and hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight. 

So my first encounter with MI was when I was 9 and my parents took me to a psychologist.  I'm not sure why but I understand that I had some coping problems and I was maybe anxious.  I refused to talk to them and I didn't have to go after a while.  Then I realised I must be depressed when I was 16 when all I wanted to do was sleep and was miserable, for waaay too long.  Life had no joy and I struggled to connect with anyone in my life.

I tried seeing another psychologist when I was 19 year uni with mixed results as I was having self harm and suicidal thoughts.

At 22 I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety as I was having anxiety attacks that would leave me frozen in a ball for quite some time.  Medication and frequent visits with a psychiatrist followed and I improved until just after the birth of my first child when I was 25.  Severe PND kicked in and I got worse.  Support was rallied after about 3 months and I stabilised.

At 30 just before the birth of my second child support was put in place and I coped much better but still had mild PND.

At 32 I had what we realised afterwards was a hypomanic episode in which I left my husband, fell pregnant to another man and participated in very risky behaviour.  During this pregnancy I was monitored closely due to the stress that I was under and was severely depressed most of the pregnancy.  I was closely monitored for PND but when my 3rd child was 4 months old, the decision was made that I had BPII. 

This diagnosis was the most devastating as I had come to terms that I had a MI and that depression and anxiety were a part of my life (however I had managed my anxiety so well that I had not had a panic attack for years).  I knew how much more serious my BPII diagnosis was and that it was even less accepted in society than depression and anxiety. 

Many of my friends and family knew about my depression and anxiety diagnosis but it has been 4.5 years since my BPII diagnosis and I have told almost no-one.  My immediate family know, but I don't think they understand the disease very well.  I had told my current partner - and he doesn't believe the diagnosis.  Finally in the last year I have told 4 of my closest friends.  I am too embarrased and ashamed of the disease to let anyone know. 

I realise now that I don't have to do this alone.  I do need to connect with others who understand that this journey is not an easy one and that support is available. 

So, thats my story. 

I feel better for getting that off my mind.

Thanks if you got this far

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hi all, I'm new

Dear @BP-Chick

Thank you so much for this story. There is a lot to take in for myself so I can only imagine how it was heavy for you to write it.How are you now ?

My name is PeppiPAtty. When I first joined this forum, I was very lucky to find this forum and my first job for myself was working really really hard to be able to say...yes, I am on medication, I am a proud consumer who spends time in mental ill health and other unmet needs. When I first started saying it it was very very difficult, 

That you have written this is better,

PP

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @BP-Chick,

im glad you found the forum. It is a nice release when you can finally write it down and know people can relate. I don't have bipolar but can remember what it's like to come to terms with a diagnosis. It took many months even on here before I felt confident to disclose mine (DPD with BPD traits, depression and anxiety)

It sounds like you've been on a huge roller coaster during your life. I hope being on here will help you to see that so many people on the forums have had similar experiences. 

If you have something you would like to 'talk ' through you can start a new thread like this one with your discussion topic or do a search for past threads that might have some posts about what your interested in finding out. 

Welcome to the forums @BP-Chick 💜😊

Hi BP-Chick,

It is Marchhare here. One of the forum moderators. Thank you for telling us you story in such a clear way. As another furum member has already said it sounds as if you have been on a mental rollercoaster ride over the past years.

I am certain that your story will resonate with a lot of fellow forum members so again thank you for posting it here. I am sure you will get more replies from other members.

Take care,

Marchhare

Thank you everyone for replying.

I was just needing to write down what my journey has been so far and when I saw it written in such a way it made me realise I have come along way.  There have been lots of ups and downs, and I have learnt a lot but I am also aware of how much further I can come should I continue with treatments.

I'm lucky in a sense that I have always taken my medications, and that I have never been non-compliant in that way. However I have not given full credit to how badly I struggle sometimes and I can take this out particularly on my partner, family and friends. 

I'd really like to start focussing on a creative output and also participate in exercise more regularly as I know that when I do exercise I feel much better.

Thank you again for replying.  It's nice to be heard

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance