Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Big YAY to that @Former-Member. 🙂

I've been spreading a few more woodchips, plus associated cleaning up. The worms are moving into the woodchips, which is all good. I could happily have a massive "worm farm".

fruit heart.jpg

@Wal4@Mags@Krishna@Partertrying@Libra@UprightRabbit@myheartache@Spanishmoon@uglyduckiling@Dadcaringalone@JB70@GSP 

hello and welcome 

flower.JPG

this is in my garden , the flowers do not last for long 

@Smc, @Former-Member , @Adge@Determined@Sophie1 

@Eve7  a few of us enjoy growing edibles. Would love to hear more about your herb + other garden adventures.41HgcKsxoAL.jpg

Still waiting impatiently for my seedlings to show! Hoping it is just impatience, and isn't that it's too cold for them to germinate.

Realised today that I feel like I'm not having a productive day if I don't get out in the garden. The last two days, time outside has been limited to hurriedly feeding animals and grabbing firewood in between rain. But I did also dig up some Jerusalem Artichokes and cut some grafting wood (scions) off our apple and pear trees for a friend in town. She'll pick them up when she gets a long enough break in the rain... probably tomorrow.

024d6c76a0c6632ba33ec8f531dbcbf60975ab8b.jpg

118198211_3213776788717203_4468378008306424751_n.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

It was a beautiful afternoon weather wise and I got 3x small jobs done in the garden today. 

- Planted a punnet of seaside daisies (to fill in gaps under our berry plants.

- Planted 4x "potted colour" plants in front cottage garden (3x dianthus 1x chrysanthemum)

- Spread out a bag of sugarcane mulch in an ornamental bed out the back

Pulled up heaps of weeds today, and trampled them into a path that I'll be topping off with wood chips. So, parts of the garden are clearer than they were, and the weeds are going to good use. 🙂 They'll break down under the woodchips and attract worms like there's a party going on, that'll help moisture and nutrients get into the soil to help along the beds next to the path.

Is nice seeing flower buds progressively appearing and opening. The tulips, for the most part, look like they're gearing up for a good show. Negrita doesn't seem to have buds though. It hasn't done well for me in the past either. Maybe it's a bit fussier than the others.

Noticed one of my potted ranunculus plants has a ready to open bud on it @Adge  (the first to flower, is lemon coloured) so have planted it in ground in the garden now. Also planted 3x culinary sage plants into the kitchen garden. 

Nice one @Former-Member I really like Ranunculus (a lot) - the Corms are a weird Fingers-like shape.

I have not had any in years - maybe should get some.

If yours does well, you could end up with a clump of them (they multiply).

Lemon-coloured would be nice & bright - Yellow Roses are my favourite colour.

Sage, well that's a good one - I haven't had that in years, either.

Lovely smell (sage), when you squeeze the leaves.

At least my Pink-flowered Rosemary bush is still going strong (it's about 15 years old now).

Adge

I am hoping they will multiply @Adge 

Tossing pumpkin cubes with sage + crushed garlic cloves in olive oil and then roasting is an easy and delicious side dish Adge and @Shaz51 .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance