Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MermaidHair
Peer Guide

If you feel... A list that has helped me

Hello SANE forum 👋

I felt compelled to share this list I found of suggestions and things to try to get through some difficult times, thoughts and emotions.

I cannot credit the original creator unfortunately because I don't who it is, I just found it really helpful and insightful so I thought some others here might too 🤗

Is there anything you would add? 

If you feel like you hate everyone - eat

If you feel like everyone hates you- sleep

If you feel like you hate yourself- shower

If you feel overwhelmed by your thoughts- write them down

If you feel lost and alone -call a friend

If you feel stuck in the past- plan for the future

If you feel anxious about the future- focus on the present

If you feel like you’re not enough- list your achievements

If you feel you can’t control anything- organise something small

If you feel unloved - do something kind for yourself

If you feel no one understands- express yourself creatively 

If you feel restless- take a long walk

If you feel like giving up- remember a time you were successful

If you feel invisible - help someone in need 

If you feel too much pressure- do a simple task you enjoy
3 REPLIES 3

Re: If you feel... A list that has helped me

Thanks for sharing @MermaidHair ! That's so helpful!

Morning @MermaidHair, thanks for sharing this 😊

Some thoughts occurred while reading this list... I'm curious whether anyone has a similar experience to me, where several of these coping mechanisms (which are all harmless at their core) become harmful in my life, because I rely on them too much, and I tend to do things to extremes.

For example, emotional eating is the core of my bulimia nervosa. And to deal with negative emotions and chronic pain, I often will make myself go to sleep, which resulted in my bedtime being around 4pm and my day starting around 1am (I've had a heck of a time reigning that in). Organising things to feel in control, even small things, has fed into obsessive behaviours and been harmful.

So, I guess... the only thing I would add is that I've had to keep an eye on my coping mechanisms, because even good/harmless suggestions can lead to harm. The one about eating in response to negative emotions definitely raises a big red flag for me. (I know it's a list of broad suggestions, I just wanted to share my thoughts.) If using food to deal with emotions, stay frosty.

The ones about doing kind things for yourself, and helping others, I love those. I don't really have any religious or spiritual beliefs, but I do believe that putting kindness into the world often brings kindness your way, in return. And it helps push back against isolation.

Such a good list @MermaidHair 

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance