Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LP_
New Contributor

Connecting with Peers (20s/30s)

Hi all,

Looking to connect with other people my age who care for or support a family member with schizophrenia. I'm in Melbourne :).

I'm 28 F and feeling like I can't really rely on friends and extended family for support as they have their own stresses and commitments, and I do feel like they don't fully understand as they don't have direct lived experience living with a loved one who is affected by a psychiatric condition (which I completely get). Simple things, like travelling or buying tickets to an event, become complicated by all the uncertainty during relapses and I'm really tired of having to explain that I just can't do the same things they can do because my mum's health is a priority.

I find that I'm keeping a lot to myself and avoid talking openly about it too often. I think it would be so helpful to regularly chat with peers who "get it" and form supportive friendships in the long term. 

Any suggestions (or peers here looking for connection also?) 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Connecting with Peers (20s/30s)

Hi there @LP_ , 

We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

We look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

Being affected while taking care of a loved one is a tiring work!       

Hi @LP_ 

Thanks for reaching out! Well done for continuing to prioritise your own wellbeing and support, too. 

https://www.austin.org.au/mental-health/carer-support-services-in-victoria/

I found a couple of good contacts specifically for carer support here which you might find useful.

That being said, I have always found patient support groups on FB to be quite supportive, too. I had a quick look and noticed a few groups online for those supporting a loved one with schizophrenia. 

Hope you find something helpful for you soon 🙂 

Hi @LP_  welcome to the forum. Is your mother going under medication?

We are here holding hands with you.

Hi there,
I’m a similar age and would be happy to chat 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance