Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

How did you tell your loved ones?

Hello,

I have been getting treatments for nearly a year now and I have started to hide away more and more from society. My thoughts are so self-centred and every day is a battle and I have nothing to talk about because I have stopped most activities apart from work.

I am starting to understand that my illness is here to stay. I won't wake up one morning, throw out my medication and go back to how I was.

So what do I do now? How do I tell my partner that I will not go back to who I was? How do I tell my close friends? How do I tell my family? Do I have to tell anyone? Should I say anything at work?

What do you say to someone who has no idea???

I'm asking because I can see that any social contact now makes me so uncomfortable and that is also due to me pretty much lying into everyone's face. I'm not good, I've not been good for a long time. I feel shit, I look shit and that's just how it is. Take me for a walk, tell me a story, but please don't make me put a fake face on.
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How did you tell your loved ones?

Hi @Former-Member

I'm sure other members will jump in soon, but I wanted to share another discussion which is similar to your question.

This post  was created a few weeks ago about a member how she was telling her family and friends.

I hope it's helpful!

I think most of us go through having to tell the people we care about sooner or later! I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Take care

Nik

I so hear you about not wanting to put on a fake face.

It seems a real art to work out how much to say ... so I experimented with ... not bad ... so so .. delicato ... the good and the bad ... etc ..

I didnt tell .. for us it was often a police or ambo knock at the door .. actually that was the way it has been for 3 of my family members.  I told my son .. that I had been having difficulty and called the CAT team on me a few years after they came .. he wasnt ready to hear it.

My fake face is a terrible grimace ... but I can be cheerful through a lot of adversity as well .. find ways to tell it as it is ... your story ... your way.

Hi @NikNik

Thankypu, I read the post, but it upset me to read the experience from loulathecat. Can you please explain to me the connection between Facebook and this forum. I feel anxious about this connection. As loulathecat said I do understand this is an open forum, but publishing our posts somewhere else makes me anxious. I have no one I can talk to in the real world about how I feel and what I'm going through. I need a forum like this - but I would not like to be published. I really need to think about what I do with that information. I feel so vulnerable already.

Great question and totally understand your concern @Former-Member

This incident tightened up our processes for things like this. Basically SANE Australia has a Facebook page. We do promote the forums on facebook. In this instance the forum member wasn't notified and that was a mistake on our behalf.

Our process is that if it's a personal experience that the member has started a discussion about we won't use it. If we see it as a quite inspiring story, we will email the member and ask for permission.

The times we don't ask for permission are:

1) If it's a broad general thread (An example is a thread called '9 things not to say to someone with a mental illness', where we asked people to share the most ridiculous things people had said / asked about their mental illness

2) if it's a Forum event. Examples include the Ask Anything Monday thread and Topic Tuesday

Hope this helps alleviates your concerns.

Nik

Thanks @NikNik, that helps.

For me one of the helpful aspects of having a diagnosis was that it helped me to explain some of the behaviours that had been difficult in our family context, and that no matter how hard I tried I seemed not to be able to be on top of them.

I had already told my wife months earlier one on one; so one night after dinner I had a "family meeting" around the dinner table where I told the kids about my diagnosis, what it means, what sort of symptoms I experience, how it has affected by life to date so far, and what I'm trying to do about it.  They seemed fine about it, took it all at in and didn't have many questions.  They were ranging from 12 - 18 at the time.

I'm very judicious about who else I tell - it's a very small circle indeed, largely because I fear the potential consequences for my career if it becomes more widely known.  This shouldn't be the case, but that's still the reality for now.  I guess my condition has been such a steady part of my life for ~35 years prior to diagnosis I was already well practised at keeping up the masks and acting out a normal exterior.  That's not unusual in dysthymia though - although it's usually near life-long for many or at least extremely chronic, it's also less severe than other forms of depression in the sense that we can usually still carry on, even though we might feel like we're dying on the inside sometimes.  The steady, unchanging quality of it in some ways helps us to incorporate it into ourselves... which conversely makes it extremely difficult to treat.

I think telling your family is unavoidable, but how and when - that's the kicker.  If there are still family members you haven't told yet, maybe think about whether it would be easier one-on-one or in a group situation, and if the latter, how you could engineer a family gathering.  If at the last minute you just can't do it then nobody needs to be any the wiser - it was just a family get-together.  Maybe then, think about how far beyond the family circle you feel you need to go with the information as the next step; that might help you think about who and how you need to tell next.

I understand what you are saying about how much you feel you've changed and that you feel you have to explain it to others.  But really at the end of the day, there's no obligation to anyone else.  They can and will think whatever they want regardless of anything you do or say.  This is your decision alone, and maybe thinking about it in terms of what's going to be most helpful for you rather than trying to fulfil obligations to anyone else could be a useful angle.

Thanks @BeeGee,

I've had a few tough and very confused days. I actually did tell a close friend last night and she was ok. Thank you for reminding me that I should think about what's best for me and not for other people. I try to protect other people, I don't want them to worry or I don't want to let them see my weakness. On the other hand I cannot continue how it is now. Going to a monastery or even going to hospital seems so much more a viable option than continuing the way it is. Fingers crossed that my new medications will kick in soon.

You know, I still don't know how to tell my psych some of the things that go through my mind, I get so confused that even when I contact a helpline I cannot even express why. It often feels so surreal and I think that is why I struggle to talk to people. I find it difficult to explain what I've been feeling when I only see the psych every other week. My feelings get so intense and a few days later I will not even be able to remember or explain how I felt that day.

But I will definitely write down what you said, to think about what is most helpful for me - I will write that down so I don't forget 🙂

What if it backfires?
I opened up to my partner a little more because the last few days have been really tough and I thought it may be good for him to know. I feel like his love has gone, I can feel he is angry, I can feel he is concerned. He has said some hurtful things.
He was the one that kept me going. He was my solid rock in the ocean. I think I have to dig deeper.

@Flower wrote:
What if it backfires?
I opened up to my partner a little more because the last few days have been really tough and I thought it may be good for him to know. I feel like his love has gone, I can feel he is angry, I can feel he is concerned. He has said some hurtful things.
He was the one that kept me going. He was my solid rock in the ocean. I think I have to dig deeper.

Hi @Former-Member

I think your partner might feel frustrated because he does not know what to do. Maybe if you tell him what you wold like him to do as a supportive partner?  I think men like to be able to 'fix' things and when they can't do this, they feel like they have failed.

Women tend to just like being able to talk things over and feel understood - they are not so focused on "fixing" things. We get our wires crossed when we assume that men think the same as women and that they, too, just want to be understood and like talking things over for the sake of sharing. Smiley Wink

Give a man practical things to do and tell him how much he is helping you by doing them. Things like driving you to an appointment or making the dinner while you rest. I find that is the best strategy. Others here might have some good advice too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance