Skip to main content

Re: Interesting Article About The Family of One of the Bondi Junction Victims - Has Going Into Therapy Become *Too* Normal?

I see your point, and it's a good analogy @chibam .

I think the perceived stigma about seeing a psychologist still prevents people from attending. So I think the problem of overuse is less than you're projecting. But who knows? I could be wrong. 

Re: Interesting Article About The Family of One of the Bondi Junction Victims - Has Going Into Therapy Become *Too* Normal?

@NatureLover wrote:

I think the perceived stigma about seeing a psychologist still prevents people from attending.

Some time ago, I remember reading that when young people were going to their GPs to sign up for the therapy discount, the GPs would unofficially advise them and their parents not to do it, because having that on your permanent record - that you needed therapy - would really torpedo your chances of getting a job, among other social consequences. I'm not sure if their still issuing those warnings, though.

I suspect this was more a case of the doctors being savvy then paranoid.

So, I don't know... is there some sort of grand agenda to all this? Is the philosophy behind this to create a society where everybody has a history of therapy, to mask the presence of those who have genuinely needed therapy, and thereby make it impossible to descriminate against them, since nobody will be able to tell which ones they are?

Is the bulk of the population basically being herded/conscripted into therapy primarily for the purposes of camoflaging the people who really need it?

Kind of a moot exercise, if that's the case, since the government are the ones who hold the records of a person's therapy plan, and hence they would know which ones are the genuine patients, and which ones are the camoflage.

I don't think there's a grand agenda of camouflage, @chibam . 

Amd I'm sad there's still a stigma. 

@NatureLover  I suspect that in many/most cases, by the time the sufferer even starts considering therapy, the community have probably already decided that they don't like them.

I know that in my case, my acquaintances had all started portraying me in an ugly light well before I went into therapy. Therapy was a consequence of my unpopularity, not the cause of it.

Though at the same time, I'm sure that it didn't do any favors for my public image.

When people deal with a therapist it is like a controlled environment. 

If we are moving away from being able to recieve uncontrolled help. It is truly a sad affair in our future.