Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Irina
New Contributor

Hello, from Tasmania

Hi.

I have complex PTSD, with agoraphobia.

I have little help as most therapies are not available here.

I have 4 cats and a dog

I have a degree in biomedical science,  but I have never been able to work.

I feel guilty and ashamed most of the time, very isolated.

I love the band "The Stranglers" and most 70 - 80's punk bands

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hello, from Tasmania

Hi @Irina 

Welcome to the Sane Forums.

I hope you find the support here you deserve.

Sorry to hear you have little support in real life, hoping that the support you will receive here will help with it.

Your pets sound like they are great company for you. I have no cats but have 1 dog who is such a great support for me.

Just a note, if you use the @ button it will tag other members.

Again welcome and I hope your day is going well.

Snowie 😊

@Irina  Another welcome from me.

I’m also from Tasmania, so I’m guessing it’s windy and wet today, it is here in my part of the state.

I’m sorry you feel isolated. I’m also sorry you don’t have a therapist. Are you on a waiting list ?

4 cats and a dog is a large family. They will be really good company for you.

I have a very small dog, with a large personality. 🐶🐶

You are welcome to look around and join in other conversations.

Good morning  is a light and friendly thread.

The safe room- somewhere to just come and sit.... offload... feel supported  is another place to meet others.

I hope to see you around.

A forum tip. The @@brings a dropdown, and is how we tag others.

Hi @Irina 

It is nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. 

You do have a big family and I hope you have good company from them.

I have two dogs- a staffy and french bulldog. My french bulldog has attitude but he is beautiful all the same. 

Please don't feel ashamed because of your circumstances we are not here to judge but to offer support and we hope you get comfort and supprt from the forum. Btw I am glad you have joined us here and we can get to know you more. Hope to see you in the forum...

Hi There,

Being a person previously crippled by trauma and chronic anxiety,  I can relate in a small way to what you might be going through. Plus I like punk too!
<span;>I can also relate with not getting the right help. This year I ended up with severe psychosis and a huge factor that pushed me further into a warped, dangerous reality, was the simple fact that our hospital system and psychiatrists did not assist as I hoped they would. This is extremely frustrating and desolating. So I get the whole isolation feeling.
<span;>Just so you know though, regardless of how much you feel it, being ashamed is not your fault. It's a feeling that is forced onto us, many reasons being environmental, traumatic, scarring, etc...much of this we never ask for in life. Guilt and shame come hand in hand with trauma and how it cripples us, along with many behaviours and coping mechanisms we develop over time. When shame is a major problem for a person, it can literally change the way a person sees life and sees themselves. Unfortunately I do understand shame through personal experience with a loved one. In my opinion, it is one of the worst illnesses/disease a person can have.  I've witnessed, still am, how it soffocates the mind into pure hate, guilt and shame. It makes a person think the worst of themselves, that they are worthless, disgusting to look at. When in truth, that person is not at all worthless and disgusting, but beautiful.

<span;>Clearly you aren't dumb with your degree, and I haven't met you, but I can certainly assure you that you are NOT worthless. Please just remember that shame is just a trick of the mind, not reality. I know this might be hard to imagine as it is such a crippling illness, to the point where you can see no other way to live. But I've lived closely with a loved one for 14 years, still living with shame. I've learnt a lot about this along the way. Shame, just like most mental illnesses, leads us to believe we are something different to what we are. The illness debilitates us, makes us think people are judging in a certain way which in reality, they aren't. Trauma, Depression, Anxiety, I've been through it, still battle with periods, but please believe me when I say this, how we view the world stuck in an illness, is not how the world views us. We build up a false reality of doubt and anxious thoughts in our minds, which cripples us into isolation.

<span;>I hope I didn't say too much here, please know I'm only trying to help from experience.

<span;>Just know that there is always help. Unfortunately though, help may not come when, or how we would like it to, but it does come. Keep persevering. The fact that you joined this forum and spoke up, is a big deal for you. And it might just be the step in the direction of help that you need.  Hope this helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance