Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Svety
Casual Contributor

Disclosing diagnosis to employer?

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I have a treatment-resistant major depression, have had it since I was a child. The last 10 years have seen it affect my ability to work and every 18 months or so I've needed to take a couple of weeks off work.  This year my ability to cope with work has got harder.  I've had several meltdowns. Due to being in a relatively new job I have barely any sick leave so have pushed through. My concentration is all over the shop and I can't cope with the full workload. I work 4 days per week and I've been trying to study but I think I'll have to give that up. I know that I'm going to be given even more work to do so that I'm on par with everyone else but I won't cope. Medication is less and less effective.

I work for a community organisation that supports a lot of people with mental illness and half of my clients have them.

I'm so scared but maybe I have to tell them.

Has anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Disclosing diagnosis to employer?

Hi @Svety 

Welcome to the forum. 😊

the first time I went into hospital I told my supervisor. I told him I have depression and ptsd as a result from childhood abuse. I didn’t disclose my borderline personality disorder. 

He was very very supportive. Wanted me to keep him up to date by email and said take my time to return to Work. I remember he called me one day to see how I was going in hospital. He told me that he told the owners of the pharmacy. I was so worried. But he said that they were concerned and hoped i was ok. 

While in hospital I was very scared that I would get sacked on my return. I spoke to a social worker and he reassured me that they can’t do thst. 

I returned to wirk and they were supportive. 

Since then I’ve had numerous hospital stays and each time my employer were ok eith it. The longest time in hospital has been 3 weeks. 

I think if you’re struggling at wirk you need to tell them. Is your manager easy to talk to? 

And because you wirk in this field I’m sure they will understand totally. 

Good luck. Let us know how you go. 

Hi @Svety ,

I told my bosses that I have a disability as it does affect the things I can do.  My experience has been that although the owners of the business have been great, and even wrote a letter for the NDIS on my behalf, my managers have been far less understanding.  There have been a lot of fights, and a lot of times when the owners of the business changed the job into something I could do, only for my managers to change it back 2 months later! Sadly there are psychologists who are employed with my work so you'd think they would be understanding!

You need to make the decision that is right for you.  You dont have to tell them your diagnosis if you arent comfortable with it.  Maybe asking if they could make your time flexible would help?

In my contact with community mental health there can be an ethic .. of full disclosure, however choose your time and person and how you do it.

@Svety You are carrying a serious load.  I can relate to a lot you say.  Read my threads, the most recent being "Fragile" and join in if it feels right.

Smiley Happy

hi, sorry to comment on your post, but i kind of have a similar question and can't work out how to make a new post?? thanks! 🙂

Hi @newone , it can be tricky to find the new post button.  You have to navigate into the forum section where you think your post should go.  You should have a button at the top that says 'new discussion'.  

This post is under the 'useful resources' section.  Hope tha helps a bit.

thankyou!

@Svety must agree with bluebay you need to let your employer know so that you can get the support you need.  As for the study, yeah take a break because you cant do your best when you are symptomatic.  It can wait till later and you will have one less stressor.  Maybe find out about reducing workload or hours for now till you are better.  You never know till you ask.  See if your employer has an eap program to help with your coping at work.  Much love in your journey.

@Svety Hi, I wouldn’t be worried about disclosing to the management in your employment about you MI. My previous employer was understanding when I worked in rehabilitation in Mental Health and my current employer understands in my role as a support worker in disability sector. I had to declare my illness which is schizophrenia due to compulsory medical. It’s nothing discrinating, they just check in and give you right of way when you need it. I would take caution in disclosing MI to work colleagues though, stigma and bias may result in dehumanising, isolative and naive conduct. Best of luck.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance