Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Talking to your parents about your mental health // Tues. 5 June 7pm AEST

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

It can be really challenging talking to your parents about your mental health. How will they react? What exactly should I tell them? Will I worry them too much? How do I bring up the topic?

For this Topic Tuesday we will be joined by Jessie, a SANE Young Ambassador & part of batyr's Being Herd program, who will share her own experiences and Gina from ReachOut.com , an organisation that supports young people and parents. 

Whether you're already talking to your parents about your mental health or are just thinking about it - join us at 7pm AEST to get tips, strategies and tell us a bit about your own situation.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?
Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?
Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides
78 REPLIES 78

Re: Topic Tuesday // Talking to your parents about your mental health // Tues. 5 June 7pm AEST

Hi everyone,

A special shout out to @Jacq96 @Former-Member @HayleyC @outlander @Shaz51 @Snowie @Teej @BlueBay who wanted a reminder about tonight 😊

A big welcome to you all!

Tonight I’m excited that we have TWO special guests. First I would like to introduce you to @JessieB – she is 28 years old from Sydney. She enjoys baking, seeing live music and horror movies! She lives with Bipolar disorder and psychosis and is here tonight to share her own experiences talking to her parents about her mental health.

JessieB likes to get involved with events like this and also volunteering for Batyr (another mental health organisation that wants to smash the stigma surrounding mental health), to help get the word out that having a mental illness is not a life sentence and that you can have a long a fulfilling life with the right treatment.

Our second guest is @Gina-Bell is a mental health professional working for ReachOut Australia as a Community Coordinator, supporting young people and parents. 

She has also worked in several programs directly supporting people recovering from suicide, people with ongoing mental health concerns and people with disabilities. She is passionate about the wellbeing and empowerment of people ...as well as eating good food, her cat, and having a good boog!

So as a starting point, it would be great those who have joined us tonight to share what peaked your interest in tonight’s topic.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Talking to your parents about your mental health // Tues. 5 June 7pm AEST

Hello everyone! Thanks @NikNik for the intro . 

I'm excited for the disucssion tonight!  

Hi @NikNik 

8 yrs ago when I told my parents about my childhood abuse I was treated like it was my fault. I was yelled at by my mum. She didn't want to hear me or let me explain my depression. She yelled and yelled and told me I had betrayed the family. I sometimes wish I neber told them. 

Hey Everyone! Smiley Happy

Hi @BlueBay
I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It's really tough to not have the support of someone we put so much trust in.
For some who come tonight, telling their parents about their mental health is not an option, but I think that some of what is shared tonight can be applied to another trusted person too.

Please take care tonight. If you feel like this discussion brings up stuff for you - I encourage you to prioritise yourself and self care.

Hi everyone!

I was interested in tonight's topic as, when I was a teenager, I had depression and found it quite difficult to talk to my parents about it. I ended up talking to my mother and she suggested I go to counselling, which helped. However, I never really did talk to my father about it. It can be very difficult for younger children and teenagers to speak about this topic due to stigma and 'shame' surrounding mental illness so I'm interested in hearing others experiences with this, and ways to help others talk to their parents about mental health issues.

Hello @Gina-Bell, @NikNik Smiley Very Happy

Hi,

I'm new to this forum thing so here goes. I'm in hospital at the moment and planning on discharge soon and ,y folks have this idea that getting out to be back at home means I'm well again. Need to get this whole idea of being well out of their minds.

Hi @NikNik,

I was interested in tonight as although I am old enough to have kids myself, I also have a parent that is detrimental to my mental health. So I don't really think it is just happens with young people

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance