Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

DogMan79
Senior Contributor

traumatised by psychologists and doctors

Hello

My primary diagnosis is Schizoaffective Disorder. That is managed OK

I have used a lower case "t" in the title for "trauma", it is a work in progress

Has anybody else had very unhelpful, probably counter productive experiences with particularly psychologists, but doctors in general

My old psychiatrist moved around 2015, and I was placed with a cold, distant, judgemental phychiatrist who insisted on only seeing me for reviews when crises hit. And his modus operandi was leaving meaningful interactions to psychologists

The first i saw once or twice, then she went on maternity leave

The second was fresh out of uni. She asked if i have siblings. I said 3 sisters and i am second youngest

She interpreted that as 3 total, feverishly scribbled notes and mumbled about identifying as "second youngest" because she heard 2 sisters not 3

She asked me to name them

Me "Shaz is oldest, then... "

Her "Then you?"

Me "No, let me finish. Shaz is oldest... "

Her "Then you?"

Me "No! Let me finish! Shaz is oldest, and then... "

Her "And then you?"

This went on for 20 minutes

The third was the worst. She wouldn't let me read the contract i was expcted to sign. She asked my goals, I told her that I was only there because GP had harrassed me for 12 months to go see her, I had no goals (repeat that cycle a few times)

She took a history, including asking more details about my childhood rape than I have ever told anybody before or since. And similar for the living situation i was in during high school, including coercive control

She fixated on sleep. I explained sleep is not new, all that has been tried and failed

The rest of the appointment was screaming back and forth. Her citing text books, me saying it doesn't help, only hinders

I asked her if she was aware that i was in the room (she just kept talking over me, ignoring questions) and she ignored the question

I don't remember a chunk of appt, but I tried to leave suddenly, and she lunged in front of the door, said she just wanted to talk

(I was petrified of her by this point, she refused to let me leave)

She let me out, she shuffled to practice manager office where gp was waiting. She yelled at him a lot. And he kept saying "I didn't know"

i never went back to her or that GP. I ruled out psychologists with new gp and have been under care of GP, dietitian and some fleeting quacks since 2016

But, the memories of that apointment haunt me every day. Similar to what i know as "ruminating" but loud and no narrative to how the present. No build up. Not hallucinated, all internal thoughts, just LOUD

So, I have a referral to new psychiatrist. And I worry that I will bork it. I will either shut down and cower, or get aggressive if they fixate on slep, or run away scared

5 REPLIES 5

Re: traumatised by psychologists and doctors

Hey @DogMan79

When you are getting involved with someone who is almost going to know things more personal than the smell of your farts, you want to take it slow and feel comfortable.  Not everyone is going to be comfortable when they understand just what they have smelt either and they may be trying to push you away because that was not a smell they wanted to encounter. 

My point is, the stuff you have talked about here really needs someone with some good understanding. be patient and find the right person for you.  Just because they have gained the knowledge to be called a professional, due not mean that they suddenly become the right person for everyone who walks in their door. Good luck on your search. 

Hi @DogMan79 . Welcome to the forums!Smiley Happy

@DogMan79 wrote:

Has anybody else had very unhelpful, probably counter productive experiences with particularly psychologists, but doctors in general

Oh, you'll find no shortage of people who have had crap therapy experiances here! Myself included.Smiley Sad

I can very much relate to your story about the psychiatrist wanting to act as a do-nothing "reviewer", while leaving all the real treatment to a psychologist. That was my psychiatrist all over. And it took him over 6 months to inform me that he wanted me to see a psychologist, so for that whole time, I was just attending these useless appointments that (unbeknownst to me) weren't even intended to help me in any way.Smiley Mad

And the parts about therapists just not listening... yeah, very familiar. And I know that multitudes of other patients have been in the same boat, because I've heard about it over and over and over again. The mental health system is not all it's cracked up to be.

I hope your upcoming appointment with the new therapist goes well. If you are ancious about how it might go, do you think it might help to prepare a statement about what you want to say to him/her? Go in there with a printed sheet? Just an idea.Smiley Happy

You could even go in there with a list of questions - treat it a little like an interview - after all, you are employing them as part of your care team.

Thanks, everyone

I have made some notes to take, yes. Hopefully helps me to not shut down entirely

You might like to ask your new psych to start with a strengths assessment as a getting to know you tool. They should know what it is, but here’s an example from Melbourne: https://healthsciences.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/3391774/Strengths-Assessment-Guide...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance