Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

cognitive problems due to schizo and learning to sway like the gingko flower

Went to my new psychiatrist today and mentioned my inability to read a page in a book and she looked at me and said something like 'do you want the truth?' and I of course said 'Yes'.  She proceeded to tell me in great detail that schizo affected cognitive skills and that I will most likely never be the same person as I was before I got sick. I kind of knew that but was still disappointed nontheless.

I suppose it was a relief in a way as I was beginning to feel that I was dumb but apparently it is quite normal and the more episodes you get the more of the mind it effects ... she said by talking to me it was mild, my age, the fact that I dont drink or take drugs etc. means I will probably have a better outcome than someone younger but it is still disappointing to know that I have to bring my expectations down (her words) ....  so what does that mean? staying on these awful drugs .... being happy with what I can do on a daily level sleeping, trying to read (I have a new set of books), gentle exercising.

The days of being wild and wooly are over. I have to be sway like the ginko flower so to speak. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: cognitive problems due to schizo and learning to sway like the gingko flower

Hi @greenpea this would have been really hard to hear and i can understand your disappointment. I also found that when i was taking certain medications that my ability to think/focus and problem solve was really low (i.e. i love su do ku's and I could barely do an 'easy' one when on the medications) and it was hard. But equally when i am very/severely depressed my concentration and ability to reason slips too... so ... its hard. I am hearing you and feeling for you with this news today...
take care

Re: cognitive problems due to schizo and learning to sway like the gingko flower

@Former-Member Thanks lisajane very sad pea tonight 😞

I feel for you little pea @greenpea. I know I've had some cognitive decline due to my schizo (I think it is part of the territory with schizy, unfortunately). I am still studying however and not allowing myself to just give up and accept this. I've had to discover different ways of learning. I can read a page over and over again not take anything in, but found if I listen to something or hear it, I retain information better. 

I also used to be able to pick up on social nuances before I got sick. I never took things so literally. These days I am socially clueless, even awkward. My psychiatrist says that's the schiz too.

Sitting with you little pea, you're not alone in this.

@Queenie Thanks Queenie it helps to hear that xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance