Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Partner with both MH issues and cancer

My husband started his second round of chemo yesterday. They almost didn't do it as his blood test wasn't good 😞 Today at radiotherapy they told him his osoephagus was more obstructed. He's been able to eat his pureed dinner tonight thankfully. We see the oncologist tomorrow.

His mental health seems good. I'm coping ok but finding it harder to go out. My own confidence is slipping a bit.

Sending ever so gentle thoughts your way @RMG  have you been able to write down any questions you may have in readiness for tomorrow's appt?

Have you been able to access any carer or other support from the Cancer Council or via the Carer Gateway?

@Coopdeboop  come and meet some others  who are also caring for their partners with cancer  @RMG @Stephanie86 + Sherry

RMG am wondering how you got on yesterday.

Mr Darcy started round 2 of chemo yesterday. The first impression I had of the nurse practitioner we saw prior to his infusion was that they were an "efficient type" who seemed to take any questions that I had as criticism rather than us needing clarity of process; she was also caught off guard as she had not received a phone message about a question we said we would be raising that required some investigation on her part to be able to answer.

What type of support?

It's hard enough without nurses being difficult:-(

@RMG 

The supports we have accessed include counseling (me with Carer Gateway and Mr Darcy with Cancer Council) and Mr Darcy is having his will updated for free (means tested) but here are some links.  There is some financial support available through the Cancer Council but we haven't applied for this but can be used to help with gardening, cleaning etc. 

The Carer Gateway

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/

The Cancer Council

https://www.cancersa.org.au/information/i-have-cancer/support-services

How are things going @RMG ?

Doing ok but husband very controlling over who I have contact with as scared of me bringing home bugs during his treatment. Missing my family 😢

@RMG it is a triple whammy with MI, Ca and the pandemic. We are not in an area that has lockdown and I am careful going into shops to do the hand sanitising, keeping my distance etc.  I find home kitchen hygiene much more difficult.

images - 2020-07-26T162351.858.jpeg

@RMG 

How are you going?

Thinking of Sherry too.

Mr Darcy starts round 3 of chemo today.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance