Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SarahP13
Casual Contributor

PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate or have similar happen?

I suffered a severe nervous breakdown last year that turned into a psychosis (brought on by stress not drugs)... I was going through something very intense & couldn’t sleep for weeks because psychosis made me feel like I was dying... since then there have been strange & perplexing changes to my body that have not changed back.... one of them is that alcohol no longer affects me at all?? Previously I could have 2 drinks & feel tipsy - now it doesn’t affect me at all... have tried to drink and experiment with different quantities to no avail... it’s very perplexing... not to use as a crutch but to not be able to experience any effects at all is bizarre? Anyone had this happen to them? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate or have similar happen?

@SarahP13  Hey SarahP13 and welcome to the forums. I had a huge breakdown with mania and psychosis similar to yours due to stress but have the opposite problem. I cannot tolerate alcohol at all. Not even one drink it makes me feel so ill. Just be careful sweety as I am sure you know drugs even legal are a no no for those who have mental health issues. greenpea

Re: PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate or have similar happen?

@greenpea Thanks.... so this reaction happened to you after your breakdown?  Could you drink normally before the Breakdown?   The other thing is that medication does not work when previously it did.... very perplexing... 

@SarahP13happened after my breakdown.  I just cannot tolerate it physically or mentally and yes I could drink normally before being sick. It is strange how the mental illness affects the body as well as the mind.

@greenpea It’s strange & truly devastating... before all of this happened I was a high functioning successful person with a generally happy life with love & gratitude... now I haven’t worked for over a year & incredibly depressed & can’t feel feelings of happiness, love & joy like I used to... I have lost sexual sensation, my breast areola and nipples have changed colour & shape, my hair keeps falling out, my digestive system is not right - stools don’t form ...wake up in the night with anxiety, can’t sleep well..  I know things could be much worse & I’m afraid they could get much worse.....😢

Hi and welcome, @SarahP13 , it's good to have you here. 

That is really odd, what has happened to you since your nervous breakdown... Have you described it to your GP? I'm also wondering if you have any professional supports in place for your depression and anxiety, like medication or a counsellor?

Hi @NatureLover... yes thanks I have talked about it to GP/psychiatrist/psychologist/psychotherapist... none of them can explain why...  I used to take medication before and it used to work, however I went off it in late 2017...definitely my biggest mistake thinking that I could handle life without it...being an empath I think the medication numbed down a bit of my sensitive nature which was a good thing in hindsight... so now meds don't work & I've tried several antidepressants + antipsychotics when I went into a private mental health hospital...  I was also given ECT treatment earlier in the year & that didn't work... it's so tough knowing that my life will never be the same & that I now feel like I took everything for granted... my husband & I used to go out for dinner ourselves & with friends & family & have a few drinks & laughs (and sometimes I wouldn't drink, however it's nice to have the option) and now I cry everyday & have suicidal thoughts at times...I have no relief from the prison of my thoughts... of only meds would work...😢  previous to this happening I was a happy person & could never truly understand why people took their own lives - now I can...😢. Sorry to be so depressing and I know I should be grateful to be alive it's just my life is now the opposite of what it was... 

I'm really sorry to read of your situation, especially that meds don't work for you now 😞 It must be incredibly tough.

@SarahP13 wrote:

now I cry everyday & have suicidal thoughts at times...I have no relief from the prison of my thoughts... of only meds would work...😢  previous to this happening I was a happy person & could never truly understand why people took their own lives - now I can...😢. Sorry to be so depressing and I know I should be grateful to be alive it's just my life is now the opposite of what it was... 

It's pretty hard to be grateful to be alive when you have severe depression, so I hope you won't be too hard on yourself, @SarahP13 . And please don't be sorry for expressing yourself here, we are here to listen. 

All I can do is express my empathy for your severe depression, and send my best wishes for healing and hope and strength. Please take care, @SarahP13 ...

Hey @SarahP13 

I can really hear how difficult all of these changes have been for you, and I can imagine feeling a great sense of loss to the person you were before. I'm really glad you've come to the forums to tell us your story and to connect with people who may have had a similar experience. Please know that we are sitting with you through your pain.

Just so you know, if you ever feel like you need to reach out and talk to somebody or feel overwhelmed by suicidal thoughts, feel free to contact SCBS or LifeLine for some support. 

Take care,

Basil.

Thanks @Basil... 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance