Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Need to vent

Family pressures/fights etc are very emotionally draining @Owlunar 

I think i have copped a lot of emotional abuse from my mum over the many many years. looking back to two weeks ago reg. the fight over the phone; i should have been passive but instead i was aggressive. i told her what i thought of her. in hindsight now i should have said 'look mum i don't have time to talk to you now' and left it at that. but i can't change what i said and to be honest i think me saying that to her was an expression of anger on my part.  it was a build up - especially over the Christmas time when i tried 4 times to visit them and she kept giving me stupid excuses to not go.

i don't know how to move forward without them. how do you?? i get very emotional when i think of the times now i won't see my dad.

yes i am NOT my mum; i am my own person with my own family who i adore so so much including little A. she is the highlight of my life, day to day.

yes, it's a shame my parents are the way they are; i cannot change them.  they are very set in their ways.  

my mother - well she is a different type of breed.  she may have suffered in her childhood, i do not know.  but it's no reason to lash out on me.

i'm old enough to not have to be treated like the way she does.  i am an adult, but i think she knows that she can push my buttons; she knows i am sensitive and emotional like my dad so she does want she wants to.

i do want a better life than what i have had with my parents.

but i know it starts with me - i am the one that needs to work out what do i want? how do i make this happen? how do i find happiness within myself without my parents.

oh this is so hard.

Dear @BlueBay ,

I think this is something that needs thought. Consider your recovery goals. What does recovery mean to you? For me, it was about developing stability to be able to function in society. It was about managing my intense emotions. 

I worked with my psychologist to pick 3-5 qualities I want for the ideal 'ME'. Then the work was about how to reach this ideal 'ME'.

I guess sometimes, the focus is too much on things we cannot change. But if we begin to work with the things we DO have control over and can change, there will begin to be shifts.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it make sense?

BPDSurvivor

Hi @BlueBay 

I spent ages thinking about your post last night - and also about my own life - and I know there is no easy way to answer your questions - no easy way forward and no easy way to find happiness without your parents

You know both of my parents are dead and since my mother died I have found what I call peace - I grasp and enjoy moments of happiness and I don't think I needed my mother to have that - she was a different person than your mother but just as harsh and bitter and bitchy - I was a tough nut for her but she was just as hard on my siblings but neither of them had my spirit. I'm glad I was the tough kid - however - I was honest and fairly obedient. I was a good student, a musician, an athlete - but none of this was good enough for her. I understand your feelings. I respect them

When it comes to moving forward and starting a new life it's not a good idea to look at the future in its entirety. LIfe can only be lived one day at a time. So you plan to live that day without your parents. You might want to be supported and nurtured but you won't get that. Actually you only think you need that from them. You need to be loved and supported that's true - and you have your husband and children and little A for that. 

And you don't need your parents for happiness either. How do you find that for yourself? I really don't know how you will do it but I know I was happy when I saw Dad after he wanted me back in the family - pity about my mother - she would throw the Christmas card with my Christmas money at me - warn Dad that the cupcakes I had made had cashews so watch his teeth or were very sweet - etc - she could not watch that tongue so yes - I felt unhappy too

From the time when we had two major crises in the family over 40 and 35 years ago now I found my parents to be horrible toward me and had no idea why - and during those years I went to university - 12 years part time - I did other courses too and worked - I enjoyed my life doing what pleased me and this was in moments - sometimes good days - life with my son was difficult - challenging - and my ex-h was not supportive - my joy is still my daughter. And I am a published writer.

My son's death was the most important thing that ever happened to me. Yes - we remember when our children were born and our lives change but the death of one of them is beyond description. My family was not supportive and neither was my then-h. I had to manage this alone and it did change my life. I am a different and much better person since then. I found if support could only be found through professional help then I took that support and bit by bit, day by day, event by event, year by year - I found the person I am today and I like this person - I'm not perfect - I never will be - but I am independent and self-sufficient. I had a good look into my own heart while I was thinking of you and know your road is a hard one and what can I do to make it easier for you? Nothing really expect be who I am in the supportive sense. I have your back. I read what you write and when I don't respond immediately it's because I am giving your messages the time they deserve so I can give you and honest and hopefully helpful response.

I know and I have considered the abuse your experienced as a child and your resultant BPD. You have to learn to manage this and not make excuses about not being strong enough or not having confindence. We get strength by doing things just beyond our ability and when we succeed when gain confidence. We don't need to rely on other people to pat us on the back - but hey - everyone here gets pats on the back - this is a great place to have that acknowledgement - I love it myself - the site and the encouragement.

The first thing you need to do is to get your physical health attended to - and leave looking for new work - even a new home - until your feel better. I am pretty sure your issues are physical problems just as I am pretty sure stress is making them worse - and managing stress is something I have learned to do and can post about later. I don't know what DBT is - I think it's a group therapy scenario. You can discuss stress with other people who are in a similar place and learn something from them. 

None of this is easy - and you have a choice - you can do nothing and stay unhappy. I do strongly suspect though that you are working on finding a way but it seems to hard.

But I did it and I know you can too - I have had severe reactive depression, still get anxious at times. Also PTSD. And I have grieved my son for years - decades - nearly 35 years - and now I have learned to lay it aside except for appropriate days, I clawed my way through it all and  I know grief work is very hard work and you will have to start grieving for you parents - your father certainly

I will be around as long as it's physically possible and I care about you very deeply - I have read back on so much of your writing and can easily read now much better you are now that when we first met after Easter 2016. You have a long way to go still but your writing - wow - I could not write about my battles the way you do - you have a real gift there

Sending my best thoughts

Dec

Thanks @Owlunar for sharing so much. I always appreciate the time and input you guve to me. 

im taking one day at a time. A new day each day. 

ive had a sick household. Sat afternoon littke A came back from her dads and started to feel sick. She was vomiting so much that at midnight my D and I decided to tske her down our local hospital which is 15 mins away. We arrived at 12.15am told the triage nurse what was happening.  I was holding poor littke darling so out of it. They told us to take a seat. The waiting room was completely full. At 2.30sm not one person in waiting were called so my D decided let's go home. By this stage A was asleep and stopped vomiting. The nurse gave us two frozen hydralytes to give her and they put a tablet inside her mouth (help stop vomiting). 
we were all so tired. It was long weekend and this particular hospital is taken over by tourists all through summer. They need to expand. 
Little A is better now. Last night I made dinner we all ate it. About 2 hours later my D says oh I don't feel good. All night every hour she was up been sick. So I had to look after littke A tiday. Dressing her feeding her keeping her busy. And I'm now stuffed in the bath because my bsvk and hips are terrible. The bursitis in hip is playing up and quite painful. 

not sure how I'll go at wirk tomorrow as lifting baskets doesn't help. 
I've applied for another job. This one in a private hospital pharmacy. Three days a week 8-4. It's about 20 mins away from hime.

I better go niw.  Need to dry myself off and have an early night.
hoping I can have some me time.
oh littke A is sound asleep. She was very tired.  
@BPDSurvivor @Shaz51 @MDT @Maggie @Emelia  and others  

Hi @BlueBay
Good to see you.
Hope you get some good rest. Hell of a time in your world my friend. Sitting with you

Good morning my friends @MDT @Owlunar @BPDSurvivor @Shaz51 @Maggie @Emelia8  and others following 

grest dsughter is better this morning. Littke A is bsvk to get normal self and won't shut up!!!  She's been my shadow while mum was sick. She knew not to go too close to her otherwise she would get sick again. But this morning she was very excited because mum was better. 
I'm off to wirk 😢 but I'm getting my hair coloured this afternoon.  Thst always cheers me up. 
nice fresh mirning here. Just sitting outside the deck in the fresh air. it's nice. 
suppose I better go to work. I'll chat to you sll later. 
hoping you all have a nice day as best as you can 

xxxooo

❤❤❤❤❤❤ @BlueBay 

Have a good one @BlueBay

Wow @BlueBay , sounds like you've been through the mill! Glad Little A is better. 

Hope you also feel better. Pain affects mood and mental health immensely!

All the best with your job application/s. It's a difficult time for many - all looking for work. One position may attract over 20 applications. Be persistent!

Hugs,

BPDSurvivor

hi @BPDSurvivor @MDT @Shaz51 @Owlunar @Maggie @Emelia8 sbd ithers gollowingv

Oh no I've got the dreaded gastro. I've been up every hour since 2am. I can't keep anything down. Earlier on my oldest son came in to tell me he's been sick all night too. Younger son asleep as he came down with a terrible headache but now feels sick in the stomach. 

I'm cold then hot and weak and tired. My D is taking little A out. 

I'm so tired. My hips and back are very sore. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance