Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JImmyT
New Contributor

I’ve been told I might have BPD

I’ve been told that I might have BPD

but not by my psychologist but by my girlfriend. It seems to fit but I just don’t know what to think.

ive had depression for a long time and been dealing with that but I just feel lost now

5 REPLIES 5

Re: I’ve been told I might have BPD

Hi @JImmyT 👋🏻

Welcome to the forum 😊

im just checking because sometimes it get confusing whether you meant your girlfriend said BPD as in borderline personality disorder. Occasionally those letters get mixed with bi-polar disorder. 

Sometimes going through the process of looking at a different diagnosis is daunting. It might be a good idea to talk to your psychologist in an open conversation about why your girlfriend thinks that particular diagnosis and what you connect with. That way the psychologist can get the full picture and work out what happens next. Sometimes that might be some medication changes or changes in therapy or neither. I am going through a change of diagnosis now again and have the same lost feeling even though I can see how some things add up. Once I go through the diagnosis process I think it will be easier to then find ways to cope better.

When you feel comfortable your diagnosis in my experience it is more about looking at ways to cope better than just having a label. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 😊

Hi @JImmyT,

Welcome to the forums! It's pretty confronting receiving or thinking about a potential diagnosis, especially if it has been suggested by someone close to you. I hope you find the forums a really supportive place. There is a lot of wisdom and great peer support on the forums. If you want to 'tag' another member just type an '@' in front of their name. 

Hope to see you on here more Smiley Happy

Tortoiseshell 

Hi @JImmyT welcome to the forums.

I agree with the suggestions already provided.  I would get some clarity around what condition you might have.  Are you sleeping alright?  Thats the thing that really derailed me when I was having a hard time.

Don't be afraid to reach out for help.  Better to do it before things become more of an issue.  I learnt that the hard way.  Wishing you all the best.

Welcome to the forum @JImmyT, we're so glad that you've joined us. It can be hard when others pick up on signs, but don't let that scare you. There are plenty of members here with lived experience and are able to help provide you with some advice. Are you able to chat to a GP about how you are feeling?

Was it a professional or friend that told you this? What makes them think you have BPD? Do you think they are right or wrong?

Sorry for all the questions!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance