Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I struggle in all social situation

Hi thanks for the response. I booked an appointment online with my GP a couple weeks ago to look at getting a mental health plan sorted but as the day was coming up I withdrew my appointment cause it scared me. When I’m in my own comfortable space, I do like to write things or pretend I’m writing a response to a conversation but would never post or confront someone with it. I keep a lot of notes but only for myself to get it off my chest and never read again. Should someone be sitting next to me my brain will be a big fart cause it’ll distract me. The more people around me I get super anxious especially if they’re high energy I just freeze up. But even just family who I’m used to I just can’t express myself or know what to speak. I hate being expressive or emotional. It’s very suppressed within myself. I’ll have to look into seeing my GP again. Cheers

@NatureLover I also don’t take any medication. I used to take an antidepressant to see if it helped but didn’t do much. I’d feel like I’d need to sort out underlying issues than take medication but that’s just me

@greenpea Hi thank you. I’ll have a look around other thread to see what may help

@NatureLover ah ok hope I’m doing it right now. I can go back and edit so they have @‘s thank you.

@Dom4 wrote:
@NatureLoverah ok hope I’m doing it right now. I can go back and edit so they have @‘s thank you.

Yep! You got it 🙂

@Dom4 

@Dom4 wrote:

@NatureLover I also don’t take any medication. I used to take an antidepressant to see if it helped but didn’t do much. I’d feel like I’d need to sort out underlying issues than take medication but that’s just me

OK, @Dom4 ...it's always good to sort out underlying issues, well done for being willing to do this. And good on you for considering seeing your GP again for a referral to a psychologist. 

Good luck...we are here to support you 🙂

@Dom4 You seem like a very sweet person. You remind me of a peroson who is very close to me. He is socially introverted, likes his friends but feels drained after only a couple of hours in their company too. Trust me there is nothing wrong with that. You are doing great and your friends know you and appreciate you for who you are. There is nothing wrong with wanting more space and quiet. Put your mind at ease. The only thing that is troubling you are your own thoughts. Try not to worry so much about how things should be. Enjoy the moments... relax and know that you are a good person and that you are doing your best and that is enough and should be enough for all who care about you.

Best wishes ❤ 

Hi @Dom4
I relate a lot to what you're saying. As a way of coping I've been reminding myself that it's ok to be shy or introverted. My worth is in my spirit and my kindness, no in what I can say or how I can entertain. Shy people who are quiet have just as much worth as anyone else. Another thing I've been doing is reminding myself not to hyper focus on whay others think of my quietness and not comparing myself to other people who appear to be so popular and successful. My social anxiety can cause me a lot of grief and depression, and has lead me to feel suicidal in the past. But truly, I have known very quiet people who I loved, and thought we're fantastic. This proves to me that the best things about a person are their essence and spirit, not their social skills.
I know it can be hard to make friends when you feel so awkward, but there are some people who don't mind being around a quiet person. And if we can get it in our heads that we actually don't need to panic , we can just relax and be ourselves, maybe we can be in others company as the quiet people we are...
Maybe it's a long shot, but I have hope. I hope this helps. 🙏
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance