Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Serenity1
Senior Contributor

FURIOUS

I am FURIOUS!!

by accident my daughters Literacy school book came home today- ( I thought it was homework book)

-Let me tell you - the number of MISTAKES in her spelling- pages that have been MARKED by the TEACHER - & the spelling mistakes NOT CORRECTED!-I am in shock & disbelief!!

the teacher has corrected. one or two words &then signs that she has marked the work & ticks it-- but has left MULTITAuDE of SPELLING ERRORS!!!

EACH & EVERY PAGE!! 

I cannot take it anymore- this is a direct & very obvious attempt to not teach my child properly how to spell!

This is EXACTLY the same shiz that happened last year- last year she came home with a spelling book & her name on the front cover starting with a letter "J" except the J was around the wrong way- on the FRONT COVER of her SPELLING BOOK!!-- It did not ever get corrected by her teacher therefore my daughter thinks that that is the way you spell J properly-back the front!!& the mistakes not being corrected continued on the inside every page!- my daughter is in grade THREE & can't spell!! Because of this!

It is happening again- I have the proof right infront of me!! 

I feel like pulling her out of the school ASAP! Because this is a directed thing at my child because the teachers dislike myself! & I have a black mark against my head - I can't let my daughter be mistreated like this anymore- 

what do I do - I am all alone- have no support-

pulling her out of that school will affect her emotional stability-

but the teachers are not treating her the same as all the other students - because they dislike me- & it can't go on !

she is so far behind in her studies because this shiz was pulled last year & the year before!!

i am so tired of fighting 

11 REPLIES 11
Mika
Senior Contributor

Re: FURIOUS

Hi Jojo7

Wow.  What you discovered today from your daughter's literacy book sounds terrible.  No wonder you are furious....It sounds like this has been going on for a while.  Perhaps there is something you might do to make yourself feel a bit better tonight.

Take care.

Mika

Teej
Community Elder

@Serenity1 I know you are having strong emotions about this but I just wanted to let you know that it may not be that the teacher is not marking it. Often, especially for kids who struggle with spelling a teacher will just correct a few words because if you correct them all, kids might become overly aware of their spelling and then stop writing. It’s often a matter of finding a balance between a child writing and getting words on a page that flow rather than marking every mistake. Gradually over time as the kid's confidence grows the teacher might talk about things they are having trouble with in their writing in a stepped way in order to build on things. 

If it was a spelling list that there were mistakes in, ie that was the purpose of the activity, then I would expect spelling mistakes to be corrected. If there were lots of mistakes in a spelling list then I’d hope that the spelling word list would be altered. 

I know this might be a bit difficult but it’s often the way kids are taught. I would expect that each kid in the class would have mistakes that are intentionally missed in writing by the teacher because writing is often about the content, putting words together and learning how to write in sentences, or a type of writing etc. I hope this helps. 

TAB
Senior Contributor

Have seen what @Teej was saying and that was in friend of friend marking year 10 @Serenity1
I went to uni with people 15yrs younger who were barely literate and definitely not in any numerate yet had found their way into uni and are prob teachers now.
Sure theyre not singling your child out plus there’s time to catch up and tutoring ok by you maybe? Called homework.nieces and nephews got made to do a lot of things in primary school. now over achievers . .anyway.. not saying thats ideal .

Thanks- I'll take that into consideration- it just seems, looks & feels soo wrong- this is not an isolated incident- there is 3 years worth of strange happenings- through to outright abuse towards myself non provoked by staff at this school @Teej

@TAB thanks - yes I believe they are signaling my child out - that is my point -& my child is not the only one - as unbelievable as it sounds- this is not an isolated incident -& has been ongoing for three years from strange happenings through to outright unprovoked verbal abuse towards myself from teacher in front of my daughter.

Yes it's been three years worth of this and all sorts of really bad experiences - thanks for your kind words

@Mika ^^
TAB
Senior Contributor

is another school an option @Serenity1  ? just throwing it out there. Your child is the most important piece in this puzzle

Hey @Serenity1. I feel frustrated with you when I hear about the struggles you're having with the school 🙁 I can see how it could all add up and become infuriating and maybe disheartening too.

When my oldest was littler, around the age of your little one, I asked a teacher about the same kind of concern - why their work was coming back seemingly unmarked or not marked thoroughly. I was given the same perspective as @Teej has mentioned which made sense to me once it was explained. I was used to old school teachers going over everything (often in red pen 😏) as a kid and when I look back, while I can spell and write, it probably contributed to a lot of anxiety around school work and grades for me. It seems kids are now encouraged to focus on content and expression in the earlier years at school, then the fine tuning happens. My big, who wasn't going so well with spelling, is now pretty awesome with writing including spelling, punctuation etc. if that gives you any hope.

In saying that, I do understand how this stuff might be extra tricky for you given the trouble you're having at school. Really hoping things can be sorted properly soon for you and your daughter ❤

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance