Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Cancer took my husband of 40 years. Not coping.

I am so happy to be home, How are you feeling lovely @Former-Member, 

I am really upset atm, I was given meds until Wednesday morning, been ringing my dr I can’t get to see her for 3 more weeks, The meds are working, Now I will have to stop suddenly because I don’t have anyway of getting a prescription until then...stopping at once is not going to be good at all, I’m out of options now.. stupid country health system....

Start feeling good for the first time in a long time, yeah that’s my luck, now I’ll be worse then before until I can get them..

Dear @Starta.

Sorry I havent written to you in a couple of days.  Several reasons - 1. I didnt want to bother you as I realise its a transition between hospital and home; 2. I figured you'd come to me when you wanted company or had anything to report; and 3. I havent been doing so well myself of late.

Anyway I am really glad you've posted again.  I had thought you may not.  You asked how I am .... I wont go into it here, suffice to say 'not great'.  But I am happy to talk to you any time .. please remember that.

No wonder you are upset about not being able to get your ongoing script from your GP.  I recall when my hubby came out of hospital last year after being in there for 4 weeks.  At the hospital they said we had enough meds to last for 5 days, but we needed to make an apt to see his GP before the 5 days elapsed in order to get additional meds.  I told them its hard to get  apts, but they told me that GP practices keep apts available for people just out of hospital.  Ummm ... the GP practice, when I told them that when I rang to get him in for an apt that very day, said "what utter nonsense, whoever told you that"! Thankfully they did eventually fit him in, but it wasnt an apt as such ... it was sit and wait. And since hubby was so unwell at the time, it was tortuous I can tell you.

Solutions?  I dont know Starta.  Can you call the hospital or the psych you were under at the hospital, explain the situation to them.  I'm sure they would be horrified if they knew.  Perhaps they could phone your GP and she could write out a script without an appointment?  Could be worth trying.  Better than the alternative Starta.  Really hope something can be sorted out Starta, I would hate to see all that hard work undone simply because of our pathetic country health system.

Can you try that do you think?  There is still time before Wednesday when your meds run out.  I feel sure your psych at the hospital will do all they can to make things right.

I'm sorry I dont have more to offer Starta.  Just not good today. Would love to hear back when you know if something is possible.

Sherry 💜🤗💕

Dear @Starta

Just checking to see that you're okay.  I believe there are severe thunderstorms in your area, and I know you are afraid of storms and blackouts.  Really hope you're okay.  I am around if you need some company.

Sherry 🌺🤗💜🐶💕

Hello @Former-Member, Thank you for checking in...Wow Sherry they were very bad, Our dear friend from other kept me talking a lot, I was in such a bad state, I went to run a way but opened my door when a lightening happened so I closed my door and sat watching my candles and talking to our friend, we were blacked out for over two hours, The road to town is blocked by trees, council is clearing them...Mhn couldn’t get through....She got me through, we have another coming through tonight...I went down last night, I took a sleeper late night  and fell asleep until around 11am today...Don’t want to but will take again tonight early before storm reaches me...

How are you doing Sherry, I read on yours your struggling a lot, with you..please remember that you are doing your very best and are a beautiful kind person that I love and care for...February and March is hard for you sweety, March is my hard month to get through, together with your many friends here..we will be here for you and help you anyway we can....

Please take good care of you lovely friend...You’re important to me and many other here and in r/l.....How are your parents managing now?

Love and hugs dearest Sherry..

Starta..

Hi dear @Starta and I thank you for your post.

Really sorry to hear the storm you had was so severe and has resulted in a lot of trees down, blocked roads and general damage. Thankfully your power was only out for 2 hours. Though with the hot weather that would have been bad enough. I was so thankful that the 3 day blackout we had here just before christmas, the weather was only in the mid 20s. Its been consistently mid to high 30s ever since.

Speaking if storms, we got a severe thunder and lightening storm here around lunchtime today. Very close with thunder so loud and feel it under foot. Only lasted about half an hour thankfully. No hail, no wind and no local damage. About half an inch of beautiful rain. We were very lucky this time.

Yes our mutual, very dear friend, is a special lady indeed and Im pleased she was there for you. I try to keep track of her, and others there too, but its really hard for me.

Yes Starta, its hard for me right now. Im really not doing too well at all. Yes I recall that March is a bad month for you. Thank you dear Starta, knowing that you, and everyone else here, are here for me in my darkest hours, really means a lot.

My parents are getting by. Not much more than that. My Dad has had one shower in the 9 weeks since he came out of the nursing home. Mum continues to mismanage both of their medication webster packs. But they are both alive. They struggle each and every day, but continue to refuse any outside assistance such as meals, cleaning, ommunity transport or visiting nurse. Its sad, and so unnecessary.

Thank you Starta .. for caring and for maintaining contact. A loving hug to you. If you get more storms over the coming days, think of me by your side.

Sherry. 💕💕

Hi there @Starta.  I have been thinking of you today, realising that it would be back to very hot weather there (as it is here) and that it was a work day for you today as well.  Has the road into town been cleared in order for you to get to your work today?  Have you had any further storms your way?  We have had some storms around, but nothing right on us over the past day and a half.  The rain we got yesterday was lovely though, and already the bottom paddock has turned green.  Just overnight ... as quick as that.  With at least another week of extreme heat however, it will brown off quickly.

Have you had any visits from either the nurse or the MH worker since last week?  I think you were planning on asking if they would go out for a walk with you.  Though if you were able to get into work today, I guess that wont have happened today.  I'm making an assumption that you were finally able to get in to see your GP in order to obtain a script to enable you to continue on the new ADs the hospital started you on?  How are you feeling generally, now that you've been on them for a few weeks?

Okay, I must go for now, but its always nice to chat with you.

Love and a big hug to you.

Sherry 💜🤗🌸

Good morning @Starta.  I've been thinking of you ... a lot, and hoping you're okay.  I always worry when you go quiet, as its usually an indication that you're not travelling so well.  I hope I'm wrong?  Please remember that I'm here for you .. any time.

How are your delightful little furbabies going?  My Holly is her usual loving little self.  Whatever would I do without her? 🐶

Sherry 💜🤗💕

morning @Starta, hoping you are ok , sending you tender hugs , we are here for you xx

Hello @Former-Member ,

Im sorry I haven’t been on for a while, The day I left hospital supports were put in place for me..or so they said...but their is absolutely no support at all....I’ve come home to emptiness...The mhn has left...their still isn’t a psychologist in town....my gp is booked out until mid March now....Small town are so left out by government where mh is concerned....it just isn’t fair....

Coming from hospital 24/7 care and support with groups and people around..to coming home no support, no people around at mine...being totally alone day in and day out I am beginning to go down quickly now......I felt safe in the hospital and cared for but now I feel unsafe and feeling abandoned...

Sorry I’m so negative..I’m usually not...but I can’t see any way for my mh to heal without any help from professionals...

Starta..

Hello dear @Starta 

My apologies for not replying sooner.  I seem to have been too preoccupied lately.

You are clearly going through a really tough time Starta.  And how disappointing to read that you have received none of the promised support since leaving the hospital. 

I really hope a new MH nurse is appointed very soon.  I know they are of limited help really, but at least it is someone to keep a bit of a check on you.  You are so isolated where you are, especially when your good friend 'Betty' is away with her son.  Speaking of sons ... have you been keeping in touch with your son since your hospital stay?  He sounds very caring and understanding, so I feel that he would be maintaining contact when he can. I also realise he has a family and work.

Being alone is hard, I know.  It is not natural for we human beings to be alone.  We are designed to have 'a mate' or 'a pack' around us, for want of a better word.  In some respects your little doggies fill in somewhat, but unfortunately the conversation side is a little limited.  They definitely provide the love and devotion however.  

What a shame you insisted on returning home from hospital as soon as you did.  You say you felt safe and cared for, with people surrounding you 24/7 at the hospital.  If you knew that the promised support once back home was not forthcoming, I wonder would you have stayed in hospital a little longer?  Is there any chance of going back for another 'refresher' in future?  I know you were desperate to get home when you were in hospital, but its now understandable that you want the security of being back in hospital.

How about the online course you started, but were taken off while in hospital ... will that recommence now?  Perhaps your GP can set that up for you again when you finally get to see her. I would think it would be even more important while you are not receiving any other professional support. If youre unable to see your GP until March, is there any way you can contact the online people and ask if you can go back on their course.  Possible?

Dont feel bad about being negative Starta.  We all feel that way at times.  I know I do anyway.  So .. even though I am not posting much, I do think of you every day.  I remember when we used to 'talk' every day, and I miss that. I hope you are receiving the support you need from 'elsewhere'.  I also hope our mutual good friend (rainbow smiley face) is doing okay.

Take care of yourself Starta.  I know you learned many helpful self-help skills while in hospital and I hope you can put some of them to good use now.  Please give your furry friends a big pat from me.  And a big hug from me to you, my friend.

@Peri  I hope you are doing okay, and thanks for your post to my thread.  I will address what you spoke about there once I hear more about next week's appointment and whether or not it will be going ahead. I'm hoping to hear from my psych again today, or Monday at the latest.  A big hug to you also my thoughtful and sensible friend.

Sherry 🤗💕🐶

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance