Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cillian
Casual Contributor

Anxiety & Alcohol

Hey guys, last few years I've been struggling really hard with an alcohol addiction to try over come my anxiety when I know it's just making it worse in the long run. Now I'm an everyday drinker and my anxiety is worse than ever. Can anyone give me some advice or tips on how to overcome this anxiety/paranoia and not always need a drink whenever I'm feeling anxious. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Anxiety & Alcohol

I have the same issue as you although I drink more cos I enjoy it. I am trying to cut back on my drinking. I drink everyday for the past few days I have had a bottle and a cider on Friday night, 8 cans of wine on Saturday night and a bottle of wine on Sunday night, tonight only 1 drink which I am proud of. i also don't know how to not drink and I need help too. 

My psychiatrist gave medication to help me reduce my drinking but it does very little. 

Hi @Cillian Welcome to the Forum. 

I have a similar situation to yours,  except my drinking affects my depression. 

I can't mention medication names here on the forum,  but you might like to speak to your gp or drug and alcohol counselor about medication that can help stop the cravings for alcohol.  That might be a good place to start. 

I think only after we conquer our alcohol problem will we be able to conquer our mental health disorders. 

I wish you well. 

Hi @Cilian @utopia @Lilyq

I am 25 and only in the past few months have I noticed the effects of alcohol with my medications. There have been a number of occasions in the past few weeks where I have had a few drinks and it had negatively effected my mental health. I feel very depressed and I believe this might be the chemical impacts of the alcohol and the meds.

I have decided to have one drink every second day IF need be (social outings, celebrations etc). I go OS soon and I hope to employ the same standard because I don't like the effects of it on my MH.

I think we just have to tread carefully in relation to alcohol.

Can you think about what your triggers are, and then have a list of things you'll do instead? For example, go for a walk, watch a show, take a shower etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I also do enjoy drinking so it's really hard to have a day without it, if im not drinking im an awkward mess. My GP has put me on a medication that helps with the cravings but it doesn't seem to work. Im really ashamed of my drinking because currently I am drinking a 4 litre wine cask a night. I'm 24 now and It started out at around 19 years old with a few beers to take the edge off when I was feeling nervous and now I am a full blown alcoholic. I have a fatty liver due to alcohol abuse and have chronic pain in the sides of my back which I'm starting to think is my kidneys failing. Ive tried so many things to help with my addiction but I just can't kick this habit. I just don't know what to do anymore guys, my drinking is going to kil* me and I know this I just can't give it up. I hate what I've become, if it wasn't for my crippling anxiety I would not be the alcoholic I am today

@Cillian - sounds like the next step may be rehab.  What do you think?  You will have support around you in rehab,  that can also help you through any anxiety you feel. 

Imagine how amazing it would be to be alcohol free in 2019.

I would try rehab but I have pets to look after and I live alone. I don't have any family to look after them while I'm gone, and I live 3 hours away from my only two friends. I feel like I have to try get sober at home. But the constant depression and being alone forces me to drink to get through the nights.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance