Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

When People Don’t Understand Almost everything.

I wasnt sure where to post this in so I hope you dont mind if I post it here.If it needs to moved to another section,please do.

One type of problem I have encountered over the years are people who say either of these statements:

• ”I don’t understand “,(they are referring to themselves not understanding).

• That doesnt make sense".

They say it to almost everything.I have a friend who is like that and we also knew another friend,a woman, like that too.They both had their fair share of problems.She passed away recently.He is still alive and active in life. The point is they are unable to process information.That means when people say something to them it wont make sense to them. But,those two people I mentioned both of them could do accounting with ease.My friend is still alive and is a retired accountant.I told him that his problem isnt as bad as he thinks because everything he says makes sense to him when he says anything.I told him when he hears something to say it back to himself or at least think it. He realises how much that helps now..As he has dimentia at times he forgets to say things back to himself.I have yet to hear about people who cant understand anything at all.I wouldnt be surprise if there are people out there like that.They would be living a stressful life for sure.

I would like to ask the staff of this forum if they would please include a discussion area on the forum somewhere so that anyone with that problem can share their experiences of their problems.At least offer them some place to post.They need each other. There needs to be a resource for those people and I hope they can get advice or at least share their problems within these forums.There must be a lot of them out there.I encountered one person within a government department who answered phones.She was in the wrong place.She would have had a hard life as a customer service telephonist. Some of us might know someone who has that problem too. They genuinely need help too. I hope other who know people like that will bring up this topic.

Regards@Denv12.

Update as of July 20th:

Thank you to all of you for your replies.What a relief that you know what I'm talking about.Please get people talking about this where ever you are.Here's something I want to add.One thing I forgot to add is the fact that our brains have to process the information to start with. I remember this from school:

Input - Process - Output.

I think that it sums it up real well.It means our brains take in information from all our senses then the brain processes the information then it comes up with the output. There are some people out there where that processing doesnt work properly. Thats where the three people I mentioned have a problem.I had chiropractors over the years who did muscle testing techniques.They could activate various organs in the body including various parts of the brain,including that part that processes information.As I've had that done I'm glad.I never had the process fault though.Those chiros were trained in school in the USA to learn those techniques as opposed to basic chiro training locally.Kinesiologists(pronounced Kin-easy-oll-oh-gists who do Kin-easy-oll-ohh-gee.) can also activate organs in the torso to get the body organs working better which is a good thing.We all need that.Please share this post with everyone.Hopefully,it will make a difference.Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: When People Don’t Understand Almost everything.

Hearing you @Denv12 

There are so many reasons why people cannot process information.  SOmetimes they have too much going on in their head, sometimes they hold views or attitudes that make it hard to accept things that are contrary ... often a form of prejudice .. like nobody has an excuse not to havge a job ... etc  ... which I have heard a few times ... sometimes they are habitually blank ... sometimes they process it overnight ... a lot of them dont identify as having a MH issue .... hmmm ... sometimes they do the opposite and say ... yes ... or ... I understand ... when they dont have a clue ....

ahhhh ... the ins and outs of human communication ...

Smiley HappySmiley Mad

@AppleblossomI would add on to that statement that underlying preconceptions can totally scramble attempts at communication if they aren't universal.

A simple example is asking someone what 15 + 16 is. The answer is, of course, 31... assuming that everyone in the conversation is using base-10 math. If, for example, someone is using base-8 then the answer would be 33; or, if someone is using hexadecimal (commonly used in computer programming), the answer would be 2B. So you can see how mismatched preconceptions can totally distort the context of a conversation and make any attempts at conversation unproductive until the underlying mismatch is ironed out.

One time my therapist told me I was "putting the cart before the horse", which I confused me to the point of silence because my understanding of that expression was the exact opposite of what I was doing. It was only after playing that moment over and over in my mind that I realized that his statement didn't make any sense because he was opperating on a completely differant set of underlying principals to myself. He was opperating on a principal that the most important priority is to prolong your life, and then secondarily focus on making sure your life is actually worth prolonging, whereas it's always been my view that the most important thing is to first insure a quality of life that is actually worth prolonging before you take any steps to prolong the length of that life.

But because we were both opperating on underlying principals that were totally foreign to the other, we just couldn't communicate.

Exactly lol @chibam 

Smiley Happy

Agree on the math thing .. as an example ... also had that

I put cart before the horse ... told to me ... about 40 years ago

Did not have a clue wot they were talking about

til now I am old and grey ... most of the world operates on a daddy was around to provide etc ... but mine died ... and I did all the providing ... sigh ...

From my perspective I was logical.... and I could add up ...  just that others are less likely than I to examine their assumptions ...

Now I can see why I may have been seen to be .... x, y, z, when I thought d,e,f was happening ... ?? lol

which is why I hope that the whole concept of

EGOSYNTONIC ... gets a little more attention ... 

yes there are usually reasons for people's beliefs ...

rather than MH stigma and this talk about voices and delusions ... just cos someone is not fitting the social groove.

I love it, you're so right... sometimes they're just using a different system, and it adds up to them. I feel like I'm always on a different wavelength. Also, I've always been fascinated with non-decimal numbering systems but very hard to find info about it (unless you study maths in uni I guess)

Hi Guess.
I relate to this. Yesterday I had to use one of those hire carpet cleaners that remove water.I had problems setting it.I used it and worked that out.There are some things I dont understand.And,a lot of things I do understand.
Regards @Denv12.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance