Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

General chat!

Hey, guys.

I just wanted to update you on a couple of points regarding masks, because I got a great response to my last post.

I called my psychology clinic and they say said that masks are not necessary in the therapy room. Neither I nor the practitioner have to wear them, which is a relief. Some people request them anyway, in which case it's not a problem, but yeah.

I had to cancel this week because I needed the money, but I made another appointment in two weeks time. 

I wore one at work the other night, and by the end of the night, I was getting chest pains, shortness of breath and palpitations... so yeah, it wasn't smooth 😂.

I don't mind wearing them in other settings, but when I'm at work, it's difficult, probably because my work can be physically demanding.

So I went to my doctor and I got a medical certificate, which was a JUST A TAD weird. She said that the government doesn't allow her to completely exempt people, unless they have like an allergy or something. However, she said:

This is to certify that [...] suffers from panic attacks and may need to remove his mask on occasion to help regulate his breathing.

That doesn't quite reflect my situation, but I hope if I give it to my manager, it'll be clear enough to them.

I am fearing that they'll make me wear them anyway, but only when I feel like I'm on the edge of a panic attack, they'll let me take it off or something? I don't know, like it could be technically weird. I expect they'll leave me alone, but yeah.

I think I was just really upset because I was coming to terms with the rule, but now I don't mind, especially since it's only for a week so far.

Anyway, crossing my fingers and toes this situation in NSW doesn't spiral out of control, but yeah. Thank you so much for reading!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: General chat!

Glad you are feeling better about the masks and that you got it sorted out @Former-Member 

Makes it much easier if you don't have to wear it with your therapist.

I hope it goes ok for you at work.

Take care 💗

Thinking of asking my doctor for an exemption also @Former-Member  im Happy to wear one when I can, but some days it's really hard and my anxiety makes it really difficult to breath. 

Some of my therapists have given me the option around masks, hoping my psychologist is the same as I haven't seen my new one while masks have been required. 

StuF
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member 

I actually wore my mask when I saw my psychiatrist today- we both did. First time in a long time.

Mind you, I've been seeing her for about 30 years, so we're somewhat familiar with each other anyway 🙂

Glad you've had some 'wins' of your own re masks

Hello @Former-Member 

Good thinking there, you worked out something that would reduce the stress and got it sorted! Well done. [I'm always concerned that writing 'well done' might sound condescending, when it's not how I mean it. 😞  ]

Every interaction, be it phone or face to face, has me having an anxiety attack, so I get how having a panic attack makes breathing soooooo much harder through the mask, it also covers my face so people don't see how much fear there is there. When I'm not wearing it, I carry my mask in my pocket (I make my dresses with pockets, big pockets! Smiley LOL I make my masks too now) so if I need it, it's there. 

You've *gained  used (is what I mean, you already have those skills) some really good management processes there, and some ideas to potentially take forward as the whole scenario plays out. I really wanted to commend you on working through all of this to find a workable solution, albeit a partial one, for yourself, for now. 

*Edited for meaning.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance