Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Jlb
Contributor

Employment for Bipolar Disorder Type 1

Hi all,  

My name is Julia I have Bipolar disorder type 1.  I do pretty well but the most difficult thing I find is employment.  Does anyone else with bipolar type 1 have the same issues?  I find a job but maintaining the job is so difficult.  I have a law degree and a nursing degree. I work hard, dress well, speak well and I am intelligent.  However maintaining work has me lost. Can someone shed light.  Please 🙏 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Employment for Bipolar Disorder Type 1

Hi @Jlb, welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

Mainly just wanted to say hi from another with a bipolar 1 diagnosis. I also want to give you a link to a members' discussion thread that is happening called 'Let's talk about Bipolar'. Here is a bit of my story...

At 59, I now live on a disability pension. I personally did not find an answer to the severe difficulties I had with regular jobs, though I tried and tried with them until about 10 years ago. One job I sustained for five years a long time ago, was casual, average 20 hours per week, also very flexible with hours and days off.

One of the biggest issues for me was the social anxiety I experience which seemed to just ramp up and up to breaking point in the workplace. Also, extreme sleep disorder has been a big feature of my bipolar and consequently routines are the ultimate difficulty for me, even now.

Another contributing factor is that I also have Crohns Disease and so would become physically ill from the stress of regular work. But despite the pain and illness that came out of being in the labour market, I did learn a lot of things and have some interesting experiences as well.

Hoping there are some others reading your post who may have overcome some of this, such as @frog @bipolarbunny @Former-Member.

Well wishes.

Thankyou

Do you think others do? Is it a real issue for Bipolar 1

Hello and welcome @Jlb  sorry but I do not work so I am unable to help, except for Sane has just had a 'Topic Tuesday'  on studying and working with mental health. Whichshould be of help. I will tag @Daisydreamer to help you. (Would love to know how to bring the topic Tuesday etc up on here) @Daisydreamer 

Have you thought about going Self employed/consultant that way you can pick when you work?

Hi @Mazarita thank you for the tag.❤️

@Jlb 

Hello Jib

Noticing your post regarding finding employment, I thought that I could offer some suggestions about accessing the information that you seek..

It may be helpful for people who would like to respond, to give them some idea of age range, eg. 20's, 40's. A little information about your previous work experience, in general terms, in order to maintain anonymity.

Perhaps you may also give some idea about why you think that you may be having difficulty finding employment. And what avenues you have already tried to access a position that matches your wishes and requirements.

In which area are you seeking to gain employment, law or nursing?

As well as responses from members,

• you can access another search box by hovering the mouse on “Peer Support” and

• On the drop-down banner, left-click on “lived Experience Forum”.

• In the search box near the top left of that page, enter “employment”.

• As you enter the word “employment”, another drop down banner offers suggested topics and references regarding employment search and other topics related to employment.

• Left-clicking the search icon will provide a full list of topic headings that include references to employment.

I hope that you will find ideas that may help you in seeking and gaining a position that matches your wishes and expectations. Other members will also offer the insight and experience that they have had, and that they think may be helpful for you in your search.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Note about Tagging:

1. To alert a person or draw their attention to a message that you have posted, you add the @ symbol in front of their forum name, to change the name to a forum address. Jib = Forum name; @Jlb = Forum address

2. For example; I would flag your attention, by adding anywhere into a message @Jlb , as I have done at the beginning of this message to you. You would tag me by adding @HenryX any where in a message that you wanted me to be aware of.

3. Near the top right side of the forum page, the word “NEW” is placed to the right of “Guidelines & Info”. Left-clicking on the word “NEW” will take you to the “Your Notifications” page where any messages relating to you, or in which you have been interested, are shown, like the following:

{“Anastasia @mentioned you in
    Re: Employment for Bipolar Disorder Type 1”}

4. To access the message, left-click on the thread title

Re: Employment for Bipolar Disorder Type 1”

which will then take you to the messages on that thread.

5. A number in a circle, adjacent to the word NEW5 (as in point 3. will alert you that there are that number of messages, where other forum members have “tagged” you.

Cheers,

HenryX

CC: @Mazarita @Former-Member 

Hi @Jlb ,

We just had this discussion 2 days ago on employment and mental health, hope you will find this helpful. 

Are you aware of why you have a hard time maintaining jobs? For example, it could be taking too many sick leaves due to health issues, distant location of workplace, work overload, trouble with managements or coworkers, inflexible work arrangement, etc.

Once you figure that out, you can align career option and work arrangement that suit you.

I have been on full time, casual full time and self employment. I find employment helpful in getting more work done as I have others to keep pushing me forward. With self employment, I tend to slack off usually using health issues as an excuse and my clients will go easy on me. Bosses are not always as sympathetic in terms of pushing deadlines or cancelling projects because of medical issues. At that time I was employed and working from home, so I can cover up my health issues easily.

I am currently on a study/work mode and will be doing a PT employment and continuing self employment as I already have a good flow of clients. I cover 3 sectors too and a good variety keeps boredom away. 

Hopefully you are able to combine both of your career roles too, it will make you stand out in the industry.  

Hello @Jlb and welcome to the forum.

I also have Bipolar 1 and for me, yes it's a struggle maintaining employment. Congrats on your higher education! I am an intelligent, articulate, hardworking person too but I often feel hamstrung by my mental health, or lack of. I was about to say I only work part time, but actually that is a big win for me! I would not be working at all without a strong support network. I'm lucky to have a good psychiatrist, psychologist and gp. The forum is also a big contributor to my wellbeing, because no one else really gets it except people who live it. Take care.

Hi @Lilaca @Mazarita @HenryX @Former-Member have a good one folks.

thank you. yes I too have a good psychiatrist, psychologist and GP. But that doesn't always save me from a job. I haven't worked since 2019 after they found out I had bipolar and basically lost my job.

Go @Jlb ! I am sure you will thrive well on your own. Smiley Happy

Happy to assist if you would like me to, just let me know what you are after, I'll be totally supportive. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance