Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Cazzza
Contributor

Negative Schizophrenia

Hi, My adult who is 34

haa been diagnosed with Negative Schizophrenia 2 years ago. 

I have read that this condition will affect him worse after 10 to 15 years? Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Negative Schizophrenia

I don't think anyone can predict whether your son will get better, worse or remain the same.  From what I have read, there are many cases where people have managed to improve and live full lives.  It is important that medications be adhered to, individuals receive support from family, friends and the community and undertake talking therapy to maximise chances for recovery.  

I have a son with schizophrenia and all of the above have been absolutely critical in ensuring relapses are minimised and he is able to fulfil his potential.  With the love and support of his family, school (he is only 17) and professionals, he has managed to improve significantly over the last 12 months.  It has not been smooth sailing, but gives us all hope.  I hope with time, your son can find some joy in something.  I know and understand how difficult the negative symptoms of schizophrenia can be.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Cazzza

How are you keeping?

Did you end up getting a dog?

Darcy

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Cazzza in answer to your question Wikipedia currently gives this statistic 

"In people with a first episode of psychosis a good long-term outcome occurs in 42% of cases, an intermediate outcome in 35% of cases, and a poor outcome in 27% of cases" 

These are defined as

Good = independent living 

Intermediate = semi independent living (extra supports required)

Poor = little or no remission

I believe the statistics for the 10 year mark are similar to that of 30 years. A lot of studies generalise to 1/3 for each group.

Prognosis is apparently hard to predict (even for professionals) but there are a number of charts that show features that have been studied (with varying results)  that are linked to better outcomes.

images (1).jpeg

Factors-affecting-prognosis-of-schizophrenia.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance