Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

John1979
New Contributor

Advice needed who to speak to about debt, stress and feeling hopeless

Hi 

I’m new and need advice who I should speak to in regards to, stress, debt and how to get drive to sort out issues instead of hiding from it all. I have a family who I love and need to get the drive and sort out my issues.

I drink alcohol  To mask the pain

I ignore issues and hide hoping theyll

go away

I wake up thinking of issues I have 

I regret who I am now, I used to be so strong and ambitious 

I need help how to get all financial, mental, business and family issues in a better place

I’m a prideful stubborn person struggling to talk to anyone about this.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Advice needed who to speak to about debt, stress and feeling hopeless

hi @John1979 and welcome
well done for reaching out for supports.
a good place to start would be to speak with your gp about how you've been feeling. they can refer you to services and supports such as psychologists or support workers.

Finances can be really hard, there can be some free services though such as the salvation army who can provide help with finances through loans and/or financial advisors to help you get back on track.

also please feel free to have a look around the forums and join in where you like.
a little forum tip is to put an @ before a members name and itll tag them for you so they get a notification your talking to them

@John1979 

It could be really beneficial for you to see a psychologist for your stress. A good psychologist can teach you techniques for reducing your stress levels.  And they will also know of services near you who will be able to help you with financial counseling etc. 

See if any friends or your gp can recommend a good psychologist or look them up on the internet. 

Well done for reaching out here. 

Hey @John1979 👋. It is a really big step to start working all this out. Kudos to you for writing here and knowing things could be better. You could try giving the sane helpcentre ph 1800 18 7263 or there is a chat line too where you won’t need to speak from 10am until 10pm weekdays, the link is at the top of this page. They were a great first step for me trying to work my way through getting help when I needed it. I had a few calls early on and found everyone really helpful (and a few since). 

They can point you in the directions that may help. 

Wishing you the best with this. 

Hi @John1979 🙂

Probably the hardest hurdle for anyone is admitting and accepting they need help. Well done, lots of hugs, feel proud of yourself for doing that.

I think you have good advice here. Maybe one of the debt management groups could help you get at least that area under control, take some pressure off, and give your head more room to think on other issues.

Maybe someone on here could suggest a responsible line of contact, maybe the SANE number is the way to go.

Just remember, you are not alone. You are not a failure. You are still trying.

All the best, and big hugs for coming online 🙂

Hi @John1979 

I  would like to welcome you to Sane Forums - this is a safe place to discuss the issues you have raised here and it's really great you have reached out and I gather it is hard for you to do so

Debt, stress and how to deal with it is tough stuff - I am wondering if something occurred which is hard for you to managed and triggered everything off - there often is an event like that - 

It would be ideal wif you were able to access a helpful psychologist - the first thing is to speak to your doctor about it and he can refer you to a therapist and Medicare will give you a rebate of about $80.00 for 10 visits a year - 

If this is too expensive for you atm then ring Life Line on 13 11 14 and ask if they can refer you to a public therapist - 

And - another choice is a financial advisor and if your income is low then you may be able to have this service free as I did some years back

It's tough but you need to pocket your pride - you don't have to advertise to everyone that you are having problems in these areas but certainly your wife does - 

And I am sure you already know that drinking does't help but as you said -  it only masks the trouble and never deals with it

Whatever it was that changed your life is what you need to talk about with a qualified person - we are a Peer Support Forum and we don't judge each other - only offer support and suggestions - I am glad you found us

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance