Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jenn4
Senior Contributor

any tips for sleeping when you're bipolar

Hey friends. any helpful strategies that have worked for people with bipolar would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙂 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: an@y tips for sleeping when you're bipolar

@Jenn4  Ugh! I wish I knew ... I have been up since 1.30am! wide awake ... I know I will crash later on but still my sleeping pattern is all over the place. So am all ears for suggestions.

It's hard to sleep when hypomania or mania kick in that's for sure @Jenn4 @greenpea   I have bipolar 1.

I resort to the 'sleep hygeine' guidelines that you can google, but when that doesn't work all I can suggest is finding quiet activities that don't disturb the sleepers nearby and intersperse them with periods of lying down in the dark and doing breathing exercises such as counting my breath, slowing it down and sometimes using a mantra or visualization.  A sleep doctor once told me that doing this is almost as good for us as actual sleep.

Really limiting caffeine can help although breaking the cycle of a coffee in the evening can be hard for some.

Thanks guys. @eth , those sleeping exercises that are almost as good as sleep sound good. Can you please elaborate more on what kind of mantra and visualisation you do?

@Jenn4  for me the mantras are old ones from the days when I did lots of yoga so might not suit you.  Om nama shivaya  and Kali ma chant are the ones I use most often.  I am sure you could google for some more suggestions.  Basically it's any words you can repeat that give positive reinforcement.  Even just 'I am safe I am relaxing I am breathing' could work.

e.g.    https://www.google.com/search?q=mantra+examples+anxiety&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBAU749AU749&oq=mantra+exampl...  

With the visualizations - they vary.  Could be bathing myself in light going through the colours of the rainbow, or going to a favourite place in nature.  Again there are very many examples on the internet.

e.g.   https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/visualization-and-guided-imagery-techniques-for-stress-reduction...

"

There is no single correct way to use visual imagery for stress relief. However, something similar to the following steps is often recommended:

• Find a private calm space and make yourself comfortable.
  • Take a few slow and deep breaths to center your attention and calm yourself.
  • Close your eyes.
  • Imagine yourself in a beautiful location, where everything is as you would ideally have it. Some people visualize a beach, a mountain, a forest, or a being in a favorite room sitting on a favorite chair.
  • Imagine yourself becoming calm and relaxed. Alternatively, imagine yourself smiling, feeling happy and having a good time.
  • Focus on the different sensory attributes present in your scene so as to make it more vivid in your mind. For instance, if you are imagining the beach, spend some time vividly imagining the warmth of the sun on your skin, the smell of the ocean, seaweed and salt spray, and the sound of the waves, wind and seagulls. The more you can invoke your senses, the more vivid the entire image will become.
  • Remain within your scene, touring its various sensory aspects for five to ten minutes or until you feel relaxed.
  • While relaxed, assure yourself that you can return to this place whenever you want or need to relax.
  • Open your eyes again and then rejoin your world."

There are lots of visualizations on YouTube too.

I think the mantra and meditation techniques are really useful too but if you struggle with positive self talk or visualisation (like me) then I'd suggest reciting something systematic and mundane in your head while laying down with your eyes closed.

I play piano so I recite scales in order of the cycle of fifths but you could easily do it with something else. The key is finding something familiar and unemotional eg. the directions between your house and work, the periodic table, counting in a language you're learning. And if you finish your order of things before you fall asleep just start again, your brain should get the message eventually.

Hope this is useful to someone.

thanks @Lulaf , and @eth , just got these. cheers. I am a real beginner at addressing my bipolar

@Former-Member how's it going? 🙂 following our other convo on 'bipolar triggers', do you have any further tips on this front? i definitely struggle esp with committing to relaxing activities when i am enjoying being awake and feeling amped. 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance