Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JamesJ
New Contributor

Saying Hi and asking some questions

Hi everyone

I am recovering from a huge depression episode. In early May I had a stress-induced Heart attack was diagnosed with diabetes so I experienced the triple whammy.

Since last September I was isolating myself and unable to reach out for help this caused financial crisis huge issues with my partner who is very supportive. The heart attack was a huge wake-up call and I am now on new medication.

One issue I am having is that my sleep cycle is damaged. Although I am working on this I am wondering whether the medication could be affecting my sleep cycle?

Today I have been very "activated" "nervous" and "speedy"... and finding it difficult to sleep.

I know this is a pattern with my CPTSD and depressive episodes.

I am doing the right thing and putting all supports in place.

I am also an ex Health care worker and have been having difficulty with the State mental health services who have triaged me as a non-urgent case.

My friends are saying I should apply for the DSP and I have looked at the scales and feel I fit them but I would like to return to work but want to take baby steps.

I am also going through a Civil action connected to my childhood abuse issues, receiving psychological support but have only been offered a Medication review by the state Mental Health team and can ring the Outpatients centre if I am running rough.

I think I need to see a Psychiatrist and a Clinical Psychologist but can only receive 10 sessions via Medicare.

The last four years has been sheer hell as I was retrenched from a Senior role in a Medical area and lost my confidence and used savings as I was too shattered to try either retraining or at age 57 start looking for a new career.

Last August I started a training course but lost confidence and stopped attending due to my depression and not seeing a future.

I want to be a good partner and a good grandfather and father to my adult daughter and a supportive partner and I know I can do this now that I have supports in place.

So my questions do I ride out insomnia and see this current "activation" as a combination of a response to the medication which is lifting the depression, as well as part of my depression changing and the adrenal and serotonin levels shifting creating insomnia?

I am also finding that I cannot sit down and relax and either work on reports for a project or enjoy watching movies. Is this just a part of the medication response and the depression lifting?

I understand that the early stages after "the crash and burn " of chronic depression can be very bumpy..

Anyway thanks for letting me vent a little and would appreciate any advice support or encouragement.

Thanks for your compassion and support.

15941060_1602651783085423_6010584161522081154_n.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Saying Hi and asking some questions

hi @JamesJ and welcome - you;ve certainly got alot on your plate.

can relate to the financial hardship of health issues, accessing help is not cheap.  my suggestion would be to gain access to the medicare rebated sessions     10 are better than none. once you;ve met a professional you can chat to them about possible options after the rebatable ones run out. your health is too important!

Thanks Hopeful warrior

Will definately do the 10 Clinical psychology sessions and begin to get a full range of supports in place.

Hopefully I ride out the insomnia. Really appreciate your support

16113974_1603036529713615_3103679381336295576_n.jpg

Good morning @JamesJ,  there most definitely a lot happening for you right now. I have no new advice as I would have said exactly what @HopefulWarrior  said. It can be trail and error finding the right team but very worth it. 

I hope you find some calm in your day

Are you going for a walk every day, or getting some physical activity in?  Can you find something to do with your hands, like woodwork?  I find that knitting helps me sit still and listen to movies and audiobooks.

Hi @JamesJ,

Well, as others have said, you certainly have a lot going on, so with that in mind, it's difficult to answer your questions about whether or not your meds and/or your depression are causing.contributing to the symptoms you list. You have so many reasons to be wound up, pinpointing which one(s) is the culprit may prove very difficult.

Regarding seeing therapists, I can only speak from personal experiance, which I'm afraid isn't very favorable. I've been told by others that there are some good eggs out there in the therapy/MH industry, but I can't say I've ever met one. So while I don't want to discourage you from seeking therapy if you feel you need it, I think it would be prudent to be mindful that there are some really dammaging therapists out there, and I'd advise you to go in with an exit strategy incase you find yourself stuck with one of them.

The 10 discounted Medicare sessions do have obvious financial benefits, but when I was on that system (years ago now), it required you to sign away your doctor-patient privelage with your GP. I don't know if they've changed that since, but it's something you might want to considder, prepare for, and ask questions about.

Hello @JamesJ@chibam@Gwynn , @Former-Member , @HopefulWarrior 

how are you all today , hope you have had a ok day 

@JamesJ, i have diabetes too 

@Shaz51

Thx for touching base

Doing OK which is nice

How are U going?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance