Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

pinklollipop15
Community Guide

Mindfulness

Just wondering if you practice mindfulness?

What does it mean to you and what are your favourite techniques?

For me, I like guided meditations and colouring in!

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Mindfulness

Hey @pinklollipop15

I love colouring on my iPad and drawing, also listening to music helps me. 

I love colouring in and stretching/yoga, they centre me and allow me to release tension and stress!

Heart from cloudcore

Ma60
Senior Contributor

I use mindfulness by thinking about my safe place. Sometimes I will listen to a meditation whilst I am tuning into my safe place. Very calming and gives my head a break 

Hi @pinklollipop15 ,

Very thought-provoking questions about mindfulness! Thank you for sharing!

Well, I've just a mindfulness class. It runs weekly, and is currently online due to our lockdowns here.

To be honest, I don't like mindfulness because when i do it, it proves how 'unmindful' and 'distracted' i am! 

However, I attend these classes because I understand the importance of mindfulness, especially as the world places more and more pressures on people. I also do it because for anyone to be good at something or to get better at something, they must practise! How can I expect mindfulness to 'work' when I most need it if I never practise it?

This is why I do it. Out of all the apps, the one that helps me most is Smiling Mind - i like how the mindfulness aligns with current evidence-based research, and they go through this during the mindfulness session. For me, knowing the 'why' and 'how' makes a huge difference to how I approach things.

This is just my little summary 🙂

BPDSurvivor

@Ma60 @cloudcore @Fluttershy1 

Hello @pinklollipop15 

My favourite mindfulness teacher is Thich Nhat Hanh. He is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Zen master and founder of the Plum Village monastery in France, which he ran for many years. I have 11 of his books, I have the Plum Village app and I sometimes watch his videos on YouTube. He is a beautiful, gentle man. 

My favourite books of his are "You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment" and "Peace Is Every Step".

2006-Paris-Peace-Walk-LEADER-style-681x1024.jpg

Hi @Arizona yes I have heard of Thich Nhat Nanh I have watched one of his presentations on YouTube and it was enlightening. Thank you for more of his story. I will add those to my long list of books Smiley Happy

@Fluttershy1 awesome! Music is the best!! I love to paint and draw occasionally (usually sketching with 8B lead pencils or progresso) actually I might finish one tomorrow I forgot I started it hahahaa
Hope you are going well!

Hi @cloudcore
Sounds great! I do love me some restorative yoga its slow and don't have to tie myself in knots hahaha I use a video on YouTube by a lady called Candace. Its so good!

Hi @Ma60 lovely to chat with you!
That does sound very calming and good to clear your mind!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance