Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Light reading, joyful novels

Hi all,

I’m looking for book recommendations, light reading, something to laugh or feel good about, little stories... I struggle with concentration but I enjoy reading. I find reading the back cover of a book and reviews don’t show triggering material at all and I don’t have the resilience to get through a book only to find out that there’s triggering material in there. I can’t read non fiction as my memory is shocking and I don’t know what the chapter the day/week before was about, unless it’s really easy reading with a story line that captures me.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Light reading, joyful novels

@Former-Member  Hi Aeiou I can absolutely recommend any of Jane Harper the Australian novelist's books of which there are currently three. The first and I think is the best is 'The Dry'. There is currently a movie being made of it with Eric Bana playing the lead role. It is brilliant. Easy read and keeps you guessing right to the end :).

Thanks @greenpea but I looked at the story line and it's sound pretty triggering. I am not good at reading crime stories.

@Former-Member  ahhh yes it could be all her books are crime related but yes if that is the case for you dont read or go to the movie. That is all I have got I am sorry. I just love crime fiction 🙂

Great thread @Former-Member, one of our faves (for light reading) is Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. Don't be put off by the label of it being a "kids book", it is one that anyone can read! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance