Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

bleepbloophello
Contributor

Helpful representations of mental illness (film/TV/books etc.)

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this community but I have an idea for a thread that might be helpful for some of us. I thought we could post about representations of mental illness in film, TV, books etc. that we have found comfort and truth in. The idea for this post came while responding to a post that was partly discussing the stigma around illnesses such as bipolar, schizophrenia and also around suicidal ideation. So any examples of positive representations of these illnesses (especially from those who live with them) would be very welcome. I am highlighting these illnesses as there is perhaps a bit more misunderstanding around them and I think being able to point to good, accurate representations can be a helpful tool for education. But posts relating to any illness or aspect of mental health are welcome too! I'm interested to hear what good representations you've found.

I'll start with something I saw recently. An episode of the series Modern Love featuring Anne Hathaway as a woman with bipolar disorder. I personally found it helpful (I have bipolar I) although I couldn't relate to aspects of it such as being unable to move in a depressive phase. But the idea of acting like a totally different person when manic was relatable. It was the right amount of lighthearted while not shying away from some of the difficulties of living with the disorder.

Over to you! 🙂

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Helpful representations of mental illness (film/TV/books etc.)

What about What about Bob? With Bill Murray as client of Richard Dreyfus the psych? Was a hoot lol
Bleepbloophello

Hi @TAB - wow, just read the plot on wikipedia, what a ride! Do you think it was a helpful/accurate portrayal of mental illness? It sounds like it was aiming for laughs more than anything! But hard to know without watching.

Def for laughs but a few home truths in there relating to dependence on psych etc. he ends up stalking psych and arriving at holiday house etc so psych prescribes him 'dynamite therapy' lol
@bleepbloophello ok am being bit lighthearted maybe.

Winnie the pooh

eeyore is chronically depressed

tigger has ADHD

i know the others have different diagnoses 

Thanks @Lostandalone - love Winnie the Pooh. A lot of wisdom in those books.

Hi @bleepbloophello 

I thought there was a lot of merit in Silver Linings Playbook.

One perspective here romcoms-silver-lining-is-its-portrayal-of-mental-illness  There are some really nuanced articles from psychologists and psychiatrists about the film, including the aspects that made it so successful and award winning, but perhaps less accurate (read: all you need is love). There were scenes that I found hilarious and liberating in their honesty, and there are lots of interesting relationships beyond the obvious romcom couple.

The book is much richer, grittier, and realistic. It was both confronting and cathartic for me. It addresses Pat's depressive episodes (the film doesn't imo) and is hopeful without promising a 'happily ever after'.

I've heard that Homeland has an interesting bipolar character, Carrie, but I haven't seen it. A friend, also with Bipolar 1, said it resonated deeply. It has been lauded as ground breaking and I'd love to hear more perspectives on it. It looks very intense for other reasons and I'm not sure I'm up for it.

how-homeland-became-pioneer-portrayal-mental-illness 

@LostandaloneWinnie the Poo is wonderful for so many reasons!

I like this article ten-things-winnie-pooh-taught-me-about-life 

Thanks for the suggestions @frog
I saw Silver Linings ages ago but the article makes it sound like a very thoughtful portrayal. I too have kept away from Homeland because it looks so intense!

When I was newly recovering from my psychosis, I found the X-Men film Dark Phoenix (2019) spoke to me - the main character was taken over by a force that gave her great power, but she eventually discovered it was evil. It really resonated with me at the time, but I'm not sure it's a helpful depiction of MI.

Hey @Gwynn - I haven't seen that film but that is definitely something I can relate to with mania and psychosis to a certain extent. I guess if it resonated with you then it was maybe helpful in some way? Maybe I've made this topic too strict sounding..

Future thread-contributers - If any film/book etc. has resonated with you about your illness or mental health struggles then feel free to share! The original post is just a starting point.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance