cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Shazi55
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Re: The self-care shed

I've had complex mental health issues all my life and it has given me a huge collection of self-care go toys for every occasion! Some are for if I only have a minute or two, some for if I have half an hour, an afternoon or a day! 

Some are tiny things and some are bigger... but they all help keep me balanced on this rock!

Here are some of my favourites...

Just get changed... sometimes it's something loose and comfortable, sometimes it's just something that makes me feel like I've tried! 

A quick grounding exercise or breathing exercise. 

I go get my nails done. 

Sometimes I start my day with writing a gratitude list with my morning cuppa to help me hold a better (than I was experiencing) perspective. 

Make a healthy or even a gloriously unhealthy meal! 

Take refuge in a good novel. 

Dance with my dogs. 

Listen to birdsong. 

Scroll the internet (sometimes mindlessly)

Do something to help another being. 

Buy or pot a plant 

And sometimes I just do nothing for a moment or two but feel the air on my skin and remember something beautiful, a feeling, a friendship, a gesture... anything at all that makes me smile...

9 REPLIES 9

There are so many good strategies here @Shazi55!! It seems like a pretty comprehensive list to me and I agree with a lot of those- I'm not sure there's too much more I could add! The only other things I can think of for myself are to: 

• seek professional help if and when it's called for if things don't feel like they're improving or if it's felt bad for a while 
  • make sure I'm spending time (including catchups on the phone or videocalling if necessary) with family and friends- this can give me something to look forward to in harder times & help counteract or balance out the bad with a little good 

Fizz

I found a great site earlier this year called Action for Happiness. Each month they publish a calendar of things to do on each and every day day of the month. Each month is branded with a theme eg Self Care September, New Ways November, Jump back July,  Optimistic October etc 
admittedly I don't neccessarily do them all but it's good for reminders - I have shared them with my work colleagues as well and many enjoy them. 
The site also has other helpful resources 
Here's the link: https://www.actionforhappiness.org/calendars

Shazi55

I'm hearing you!
I do spend a lot of time on line, talking with friends, giving and receiving support!
Shazi55

This is a great little resource!

Really love this discussion! Thank you @Shazi55 

Hi @Shazi55 @Fizz and @TideisTurning How have you been going with self care the last couple of weeks? Did you think of other things to add to this amazing list?

I thought I might pop in a few self care activites that I do too 😊

• Getting out into nature: whether it's a bush walk or sitting on my balcony surrounded by my garden
  • Go for a walk 
  • Find a space in my house by myself to rest or watch a movie
  • Buy some nice cheese and crackers for a snack- I love cheese!
  • Look back through photos and memories
  • Do a random act of kindness
  • Write in my journal

Really looking forward to reading more and more self care activities to come on this thread💙 

Daisydreamer🌼

Shazi55

Awesome @Daisydreamer 

I'm doing one right now! 

I've just arrived at my friends place that I haven't seen for a year with multiple bottles of coloured hair dyes! 

We're going to hang out, do hair and chat. On the way home I'm having dinner with my Lions Club and then back home! 

Last night I did grab some Persian Feta... nice and soft but flavour packed after having a couple of molars out, I just swapped the crackers for some soft bread!

🌻💛🌻

That sounds delightful @Shazi55

Hope you have the best time with your self care day- you deserve it 💙 Would love to hear tomorrow how it went 

@Daisydreamer- I love the idea of looking back through photos- so many of them bring back happy memories. I try and surround myself with photos of family and friends, especially those I see less often. They never fail to bring a smile to my face, and if I need to, every so often, I'll change them around, especially if they stop making me smile.

So I suppose another one for me is to have a declutter every so often to make sure the spaces I'm in, especially the spaces I'm in a lot (like my work space) are ones that give me good vibes. 

How was your self care day last week @Shazi55?

I love that @TideisTurning! Decluttering can be so relaxing too when you get into a rhythm 

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: