Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

PROJECT SUCCESS

D.I.Y. PROJECTS TIPS...
IMG_20170629_005931.png
Starting this DIY thread hoping to attract support from each other for projects, big and small, of things we've always wanted to do but just need a hand to get started, guided, or simply encouraged to keep at it.

Personally, I find creating things (fixing or making things beautiful) to be very fulfilling, purposful, energizing, mindful and works wonders for the self esteem and ultimately mental strength.. Ever seen those old movies where patients are always basket weaving? - well I reckon they had something there. Creativity and self confidence in projects seems to be one of the first things to go with depression, just need that extra pushalong to try, or so it seems. Being creative simply helps, especially when we choose it, for me anyway.

☑ Anyone can post their project here, even if you don't need help, but just share. It will inspire others to hear your success stories, your achievirments, why & how you did it. PostAway🎉

IMG_20170629_005848.png

MY CURRENT PROJECT IS A CHEST OF DRAWERS I acquired at the local tip a few months ago. I sanded them back a while back now. but became unwell for months (MI relapse) and got stuck, forgot about it 'till recently. Got into it again and looming for pointers (support) getting to the next step. I've taken off the handles and the water damaged back panel, removed all the nails, even put a floor in the bottom (with some scrap that fitted perfectly) and was excited at my progress and plans to have a self restored, painted WHITE chest of drawers - until I showed a friend. My confidence is shot. Her comments threw me into a tailspin telling me to stain it instead (she likes the wood grain) and thinks i need to find nicer fixtures (handles) than the round nobs. She says white paint will chip and look tacky 😞 I don't know, sucked the energy plans, totally threw me (am I doing the right thing? Should I change my plans? Will she be offended if I don't do what she thinks I should do / is best? I don't know what I want now. grr. Hate this lack of self... Decisions! decisions! I'm not good at decisions and not resourced up to shopping for stain etc or figuring out how to work out all the imperfections...

Have you done up any furniture Zoe7?

Zoe7 said: "Actually - yes Lapses I have both built and restored a lot of furniture - so you are in luck. You will need to use a primer paint first and that will allow not only for any stains still in the woodto be covered but will also act as a bonding agent for the white paint. No paint will chip if it is painted properly lapses. What kind of white do you want - gloss, semi-gloss or flat white. There are different methods you can use depending on what finish you would like.

Lapses said: "I have 3in1 primer, do like semi gloss white. Might be better to woodfill the chips on top, make it all flat. Now I gotta go find the wood fill Smiley Sad Do tired. Not sure I'll ever get this done. Tempted to just use them as is. Appreciate your tips on this Zoe7, kinda been a bit stuck 👍 Thanks Zoe7

IMG_20170627_232848.png
Lapses said: "Zoe7, Finally took a photo of the drawers.
Found the woodfill so waiting for that to dry. Think it will be worth it. Should we start a thread for projects? Really appreciate your tips. Good Night. Pleasant dreams 😴🌸💜🌿

Zoe7 said: "with the drawers - fill in the chips - over fill slightly as wood filler does shrink a little when dry. Then sand over the the spots you have filled - that can be done easily by hand. 3 in 1 primer is great - one coat of that wil be enough then give the drawers a light sand (a very fine sand paper will do - even as fine as a 120 grit). This is crucial as it always the next coat to have something to adhere to. For the best finish I would even recommend you use a spray paint - it gives a nice even finish - no brush lines if you are not used to painting with brushes - and you can line the draws up and paint them so much quicker. ...but that is up to you. How many drawers do you have to paint? Then I can tell you how much paint you will need! // I think it is a great idea to start a new thread for 'Projects'. If you start it tag me in and I will be more than happy to help you through this project. The chest of drawers will look great in white"

Faith-and-Hope said: "Woo-hoo ... looking good lapses .....; 👍

CheerBear said "Lapses - those drawers are going to look great!

39 REPLIES 39
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: PROJECT SUCCESS

IMG_20170629_005954.pngLOL

Former-Member
Not applicable

Zoe7 said: "Now these drawers - piece of cake! Has the woodfiller dried? If it has sand it back and you are ready for your first coat of 3in1 paint - yea ☺ That usually dries pretty quickly to be able to give it a gentle sand for the next coat. Do you have the white paint for the top-coat already?

@Zoe7. Thank you so much. Not sure if its dry enough for sanding yet, well, just got sidetract if the truth be said. Been a bit distracted, and tomorrows not looking good re working at the shop. But please don't give up on me, maybe check in Friday - I have a habit of forgetting what I'm suppose to be doing that's food for me. Its embarrassing:(  so please be patient. I'll definitely be checking in with the next step, before or after. Think I might have 'approval addiction' but not beating myself up anymore, too tired ☺

No, I haven't got the top coat spray paint yet, any recommendations ? Or how many to get? Thank you ❤❤❤

Love that you've created this thread @Former-Member and look forward to following the progress on the drawers. Where will you be placing them? What will you put in them? Do them up as you want and don't be concerned about how other people think they should look. 

My father renovated an old rocking chair for me that I had in my nursery for feeding my babies. Unfortunately my ex husband has that I think unless he threw it away and anyway where I'm living now doesn't have a lot of room for furniture. Maybe one day, I'll get a little place in the country and fill it with old furniture. 

Currently I have mostly Ikea stuff with a few bits and pieces I picked up second hand. Had to start from scratch and am not in the frame of mind for colllecting things as I have moved several times over the last three years interstate and overseas. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @soul, I get discouraged easy so helps to be reminded to keep going, despite the critics (in my head or otherwise). The drawers will be to organise my underwear and put a jewellery box etc on. Haven't had that for years. Thanks again for supporting me hear. Bit worried I'm coming across too boastful😱 🌷🌿💞

So pleased you started this thread @Former-Member. Have you sanded the filled areas yet? Bet you haven't - get onto that soon (too pushy lol). If you are going to use spray cans then you will need at least 4 (if you are only doing the front of the drawers and the outside of the cabinet x 2 coats) - might be cheaper to get a 2 litre can instead (and a really good quality brush with fine, soft bristles) - up to you really. Spraying can certainly give a much more even finish if you are confident with it - light, even strokes about 30-40cm away will do that. Don't forget a light sand between coats. Will need 2 top coats.

Former-Member
Not applicable

jRe: PROJECT SUCCESS

Thanks @Zoe7, appreciate this. Copied your instructions in my phone for reference. Feeling like a child here, rmotionally imature ;( - usually sort things out myself, the hard way, or not at all. So learning heaps ;)Did work today but bback pain - a shocker! But it is raining and I was on my feet all day. Not fun. 

The drawers are a priority project and right there centre stage of my bathroom (not so weather affected...

Here's another joke (took me a min to get it), haha

IMG_20170629_010020.png

❤❤❤

Re: jRe: PROJECT SUCCESS

Hi @Former-Member The image (joke) isn't up - maybe not approved - thought I'd let you know Heart

Now get onto those drawers lol Smiley LOL

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Zoe7, the last picture was just a photo of one wooden pallet leaning up against a tree with the caption "I made this out of an old coffee table" Made me lol, whichbi wanted to share with you, and kinda diy related. Moderator probably thought it was just too stupid 😞 oops

Yes, i still gotta get on with the drawers. Burst into tears yesterday when i couldnt find the six handles yesterday. Just not coping well sorry. "What's the point" messages screaming at me "you can't do it" "you're hopeless" it just drains me - the slightest hiccup smashes my dreams. Sorry.  Wish I was, more 😢. Maybe try again tomorrow, after work at shop, if not in too much pain. Hope i dont start crying there again 😕  How are you holding up Zoe? Think of you when I see butterfy pictures, like this one

IMG_20170602_204740.png

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Zoe. Youre probably asleep after the big beach party ,(well done by the way!) but just checking to see if ya chasing me up, to give an update. Truth is, I've done the filler and sand and don't know why but hesitating yo paint that first coat. Stupid but determined. A friend is visiting for lunch Tim grow so hopefully after that. Will post photo of first coat. Might throw another party haha! Thanks again 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance